Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Your verdict of second hand lenses (older series)

wipka84 7 43 England
6 Mar 2008 9:51PM
Any pentax users got any older lens from previous series that they are pleased with the results etc...or disappointed with.

Was just trawling through pages and pages of ebay ads for second hand pentax lenses and realised I have no idea of quality so thought I'd throw a thread open for people to share their bargain quality finds and rogue lenses.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil_24 8 532 2 England
6 Mar 2008 10:48PM
You talking digi or film here?
wipka84 7 43 England
6 Mar 2008 11:23PM
I was sort of thinking pentax lenses made for the film camera's that work with the newer digital models which I think quite a few do?. It can be anything really, thought I'd just start a thread about them all and see if anyone is using a favoured older lens on their newer model
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
6 Mar 2008 11:40PM

Quote: favoured older lens on their newer model

All fine and Dandy, But apart from quality issues, Older lens almost always contain dust amongst other nasties......!

Every time the Iris actuates, as well as general handling.....Particles of the internal dust get moved around......And guess where some of them are going to end up....?

Yup! All over your sensor.....!

If you really want to use old lens....You should really consider having them serviced & Cleaned, Before putting them anywhere near a DSLR....!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Mar 2008 7:04AM
Stick to primes, the older zooms will not be that good on digital.

You can get some suprisingly good results as this artical shows.

here
pepperst 7 2.3k 4 Wales
7 Mar 2008 9:17AM
The best shots from my last work came from an old school nikor 50mm, dusty as the namib but good enough.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Mar 2008 9:31AM
That artical I linked to used an old zuiko, results from a pentax, minolta rokkor etc would have been much the same.
wipka84 7 43 England
7 Mar 2008 9:41AM
Thanks chaps, I thought the primes would be reasonably good quality and was going to shy away from some of the zooms. Thanks for the advise about a service, something to budget for in sussing out whats a good deal and what isnt.
spt 10 89 Scotland
7 Mar 2008 9:43AM
I like using my SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 and SMC-M 28mm f/3.5 on my K100D. I've recently acquired an SMC-A 50mm f/2.8 macro which looks good too. I get the impression that most of the Pentax primes will work pretty well. Any of the 50mm lenses will give you a sharp, fast lens at a very low cost.

There are some useful comments on most older Pentax lenses here , though it doesn't seem to have been updated for a long time, and makes no mention of digital at all.

The SMC-A series (which are the last manual focus series) will allow you to use most of the exposure modes of the camera. The SMC-M series will only work in manual exposure mode, though metering still works well, and once you've got used to pressing the AE-L button to set the exposure it isn't really much inconvenience.
wipka84 7 43 England
7 Mar 2008 12:14PM
spt Thanks.

That's exactly the sort of information i wanted to get and the sort of opinions and views in this thread. Thanks for adding the link.

Cheers to everyone else for their advice of SH lenses.
kenp 8 96 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2008 3:01PM
My all time favourite!.........Pentax "A" 50mm 1.7...........I've fallen in love with it....lol..........Ken
kenp 8 96 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2008 3:08PM
Sorry I forgot!.....you may find this site helpful. It shows all the old lenses and sample photographs taken with them.............the lenses are at the bottom of the page!....................Ken

www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.