Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

B&W weekly challenge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 8:47 PM

Ok then, here goes! Leaving out Gysyman's 2 shots (as they said they weren't entered) and Scutter's Transylvanian summer shot, it looks like a straight fight between the light and dark sides, with Cristian and Cats 123 in daylight and Phil L and Sandgrouse exploring the dark side. I'm kind of surprising myself in preferring a dark shot, but I can really feel the tension in Phil L's underpass shot and just enough movement in the figure, so I'll have to give it to him this week. It is a well thought out shot and looks like you even used a tripod to get all the surroundings sharp in the low light, but is the figure a model or a passerby?

Cristian's shot was good and has that wide spread of tones that enhances a shot for me, and you really got good detail in it. I found myself wondering why we weren't seeing the left side of the church to give a bit more symmetry to the composition, but there was maybe a good reason for that? The metal security gate in Cats 123's shot also had great detail in the metal mesh, and had been processed for a higher contrast effect that suited the harsh nature of the subject, but I'm wondering if it would have been better if there had been quite narrow depth of field on the gate and the boat and background had been more blurred? Which leaves us with Sandgrouse and the Asda shoppers which comes close to working very well, and is certainly worth a reshoot with a decent camera when you're feeling better.

Afraid there are no prizes, but maybe Santa will be good to you! Thanks for joining in and now over to you Phil. Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Dec 2010 - 8:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103958 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 10:16 PM

Well done, Phil

and thanks for the `judging' Peter....lets hope we get some more entries next week Smile

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61209 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
15 Dec 2010 - 10:44 PM

I've never noticed this challenge before, I regularly enjoy the Monday one but may also give this a go too as it allows a little longer to decide and compose an image. Mind you, not saying I'll any good as never really planned a B&W before but it'll be fun trying!

cheers
Lyn

Cristian
Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 11:05 PM

Well done Phil.

and thanks for the mention Peter (Snapper). For my image, I was torn a little as the local council had decided to put some scaffolding around my intended original subject. For the photo I uploaded, I liked the idea that this was a house of God, which was gated up and looking almost unwell, apart from the sign on the right. I didn't think too much about the left handside, other than to avoid the stream of traffic that was in that area.

Interesting challenge group, which has made me think a little and now have the intention of taking only mono images this week!

Cristian

Phil_L
Phil_L  5 Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thanks cats, and Peter of course for doing this weeks challenge. No tripod but well braced against a wall, and the figure is a genuine passer by. It would be good to see more group members taking part but I'm not sure how to bump up the numbers....any ideas anyone? It's a busy time of year though so maybe the new year will see more interest.

Anyways...in keeping with the time of year this weeks theme is Retail Therapy.....as my wife likes to call it, more commonly known as Shopping. or not if you're lucky. Hope that's broad enough for everyone to have a go without too much trouble....and DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH.

Phil_L
15 Dec 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Cristian. A week on Mono sounds like a good personal project. Good luck.

Phil_L
15 Dec 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hello Lyn. Do join in. As you say there's time to have a think....or dash out on a Tueday night if that's how the week goes.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103958 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 7:03 AM

Good one, Phil......Smile

Gypsyman
Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
16 Dec 2010 - 10:57 AM

Good subject, I will try to get something to put up for Comment, Pity on of my Entrances did not
receive on. Eric.

Gypsyman
16 Dec 2010 - 1:42 PM

The word ON came up twice on my last post , where I had typed ONE. Eric.

ExT_Racer
ExT_Racer e2 Member 555 forum postsExT_Racer vcard Wales
16 Dec 2010 - 2:41 PM

Well done to all the winners. I confess I cheated with my statue but as it was out of focus there was no advantage!

If the snow comes it is unlikely I will be anywhere near any shop. Perhaps I could photo the stuff I bought today?

I live out in the hills of mid wales where the gritters never visit!

Paddy.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 2:45 PM

Quote: Ok then, .........and Scutter's Transylvanian summer shot, ...........

Yes sorry about that!! I must learn to read instructionsTongueTongue

cats_123
16 Dec 2010 - 3:49 PM

Quote: Well done to all the winners. I confess I cheated with my statue but as it was out of focus there was no advantage!

If the snow comes it is unlikely I will be anywhere near any shop. Perhaps I could photo the stuff I bought today?

I live out in the hills of mid wales where the gritters never visit!

Paddy.

well, if you shop on-line....you could take a picture of the postman or your PC!! Wink

Gypsyman
16 Dec 2010 - 4:15 PM

Still no one to comment on my ' an old entrance' ?

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 5:38 PM

Quote: Still no one to comment on my ' an old entrance' ?

Eric, I looked at your photo but it says "Old Doorway in Kent. Not for Weekly Challenge" so I didn't include it. Sorry if I misunderstood your intention, but what I did think about it was that it has the symmetry that I was suggesting would have benefited Cristian's shot of the church. It was just a touch off the level, which is easily sorted, and it had a good amount of detail in it. I was left wondering what the coat of arms meant and what the building was used for.

Hope that is of some help, Peter

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.