Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does EZP needs more B&W images?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Sandgrouse
18 Nov 2010 - 8:02 PM

In the last week only 8.6% of all the photos uploaded to photography gallery were black and white images.

As a group should we try to encourage others to upload B&W image? What about aiming for 10% of each weeks photography gallery uploads to be black and white images by Christmas? Lets trying to get as many people who normally upload only colour images to upload a B&W image to the photography gallery every Tuesday?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Nov 2010 - 8:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2010 - 8:06 PM

yeah right, as if that will happen... Wink Good idea though

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2010 - 8:07 PM

Quote: In the last week only 8.6% of all the photos uploaded to photography gallery were black and white images.

That's actually not a bad percentage. I'm all for encouraging black & white but don't think members should be "forced" to upload black & white.

How about creating a challenge? It could be a theme for the Monday Night (or new Sunday night) one, or just something you kick of from the group forums to see how it goes. The theme could be subject lead but the rule would be it has to be in black & white. Just a thought Smile

JamesGarfield
18 Nov 2010 - 8:14 PM

I guess that 8.6% doesn't count the uploads in this group, which I have to say are pretty spectacular!

Sandgrouse
18 Nov 2010 - 8:14 PM

Quote: don't think members should be "forced" to upload black & white.

likewise, but people could be encouraged to upload black and white....

Quote: How about creating a challenge? It could be a theme for the Monday Night (or new Sunday night) one, or just something you kick of from the group forums to see how it goes. The theme could be subject lead but the rule would be it has to be in black & white. Just a thought Smile

good idea

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
18 Nov 2010 - 8:19 PM

Quote:

How about creating a challenge?

Great idea, what about a weekly mono challenge. You nominate a subject on Friday, everyone has a week to compose an image and we all upload the image the following Friday. (you cannot upload before the Friday and only one upload per person)

The reason I suggest a week is that it will give everyone time over the weekend to work on images and those who would like to submit an image from film have the week to get it developed.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014740 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2010 - 8:34 PM

I upload lots of B&W and really enjoy them - just put up a 20 by 30 inch canvas on my walls, mono Aston Martin DBS, looks amazing Smile

I don't think the site really needs to anything about monos to be honest - there's that group already running, you can filter the gallery by Black and White.... it's all there ready to use

Maybe start promoting B&W in your comments on other shots... no harm saying "I really like this shot, I bet it would look fantastic as a black and white too....."

They may take the hint and give it a try

I think Nik Silver EFX should be a free plugin, then the mono would be a lot more accessible Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2010 - 9:25 PM

Another thing as well is to go around the site finding good black and white and comment on their pics and encourage them to contribute more of the same even though they may get low scores. We should be grateful to members like Luke Smith who's been plugging away with black & white for years and he never gets high scores, yet he continually delivers really interesting work.

Last Modified By Pete at 18 Nov 2010 - 9:25 PM
pentaxpete
19 Nov 2010 - 4:08 PM

Luke Smith is not the only one to be 'plugging away' and getting low scores ! I try to support the Site with Real Film B&W but unless it's a Digital 'HDR' of a castle, misty water with slow shutter speed or a NUDE it never gets looked at ! I tried to get some views by putting a NUDE on the B&W Group but not even that got views ! Maybe I should put 'NUDE' ( in LARGE letters) HDR, Digital in the Tag things and I bet there would be loads of people viewing !

Sandgrouse
22 Nov 2010 - 6:43 PM

Quote: How about creating a challenge?

Great idea, what about a weekly mono challenge. You nominate a subject on Friday, everyone has a week to compose an image and we all upload the image the following Friday. (you cannot upload before the Friday and only one upload per person)

The reason I suggest a week is that it will give everyone time over the weekend to work on images and those who would like to submit an image from film have the week to get it developed.

A weekly B&W challenge sounds a great idea, anyone know the easiest way of setting this up? or how it could run?

Friday's are a manic day for me work wise with main job and then 6 hours working in a local pub Sad So can I suggest thursday to thursday just incase things need to be set up.

What do you think?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 10:11 PM

out of interest, I did a quick tally - of my last 100 uploads 33 were monos - I hope to up that ratio in 2011

ade_mcfade
12 Dec 2010 - 10:22 PM

just convert all your colour shots from this year into monos - that'll be a cracking kick start Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 11:05 PM

Quote: Just convert all your colour shots from this year into monos - that'll be a cracking kick start Wink

No I've got 2 projects planned which will be a bit different for me (tho one of them won't be mono).

As for converting some of the 'scapes, I've had a strange year most of the sunrises were with clear skies (not complaining I've had some super light), but they don't always make good monos (at least to my liking).

There again you could always make a suggestion from my PF & I will see what I can do Wink

ade_mcfade
12 Dec 2010 - 11:09 PM

Quote: There again you could always make a suggestion from my PF & I will see what I can do

I'll leave the choice to you Wink

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 11:31 PM

I love Black and White too, and I certainly don't hesitate to upload them to EPZ. Sometimes I will do a colour and mono version of the same shot, but usually it's destined to become B&W from the moment I press the shutter button.
I don't feel that colour is important in every image, but not every shot works in B&W. I sometimes see images that I think would look good in mono, and if I am in the mood to pass comment on them I will say as much.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.