Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First Attempt

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gypsyman
    Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
    26 Nov 2010 - 10:06 AM

Newby, to Digital Photograph, many years since I used Film or Slides. Have only took Colour snaps
    as of yet, but last night I tried to convert a Colour photo to B&W.
    I took it two days before the Motion comp was called, and the only motion in it is frozen. however
    I put it up here, for comments, to see if I am going the right way or not ?

copydog.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Nov 2010 - 10:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GPTek
    GPTek e2 Member 8437 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2010 - 10:57 AM

Eric - you haven't detailed how you have converted your image to B&W, or which software you are using for the conversion. This makes it difficult to explain how to make any changes.

untitled-1-mod-dog.jpg

I've uploaded a v quick mod of your image. Your original is very flat and lacking in contrast. I have used PS CS2 and have used a 'channel mixer' layer selected monochrome, and then re-adjusted the red, green blue levels. Put in a levels layer and adjusted the sliders to adjust the overall contrast.

As said - without knowing the software used it's very difficult to give specific help.

HTH

Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Gypsyman
    26 Nov 2010 - 1:15 PM

Geoff, I do not have any Programme yet that has Levels or Layers, All I could do was to remove
    Colour to Grey and move the Lighting ect., about, I put up the best I could manage on that attempt. Thanks for your kind reply. Eric.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2010 - 2:11 PM

try this one ...it's free Pixlr Smile

Gypsyman
    26 Nov 2010 - 9:37 PM

Geoff, Thanks, I will try anything, thanks for the link. Eric.

Jestertheclown
    27 Nov 2010 - 2:10 PM

In that case Eric, you might like to try these:

Picasa

FastStone

http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html

GIMP

They're all pretty good in their own way. You'll need to experiment a bit to see which bits of each best suit your needs.

As Jeff has said, Pixlr has a lot to offer and to my mind is at least as good, and probably better than, GIMP which has traditionally been regarded as a poor man's answer to Photoshop.

It's got a far more intuitive interface as well.

Also, although I've never tried it, I reckon that just about any one of the tutorials that are available for other programmes will be perfectly usable on Pixlr. You might find that some of the tools will be in different places or have different names but, with a little perseverance, they'll still do the job.

Hope this helps.

Jester.

Gypsyman
    27 Nov 2010 - 3:56 PM

Jester, Thanks for the above advice, but sadly you do not know that my computer is a very old
    one, one that was thrown away many years ago, which my G/son got working for me to play on.
    He told me then that I could not download anything on to it, as the H/D and Ram would not take it. Two weeks ago having been advised to get Picasa or Gimp, I decided to give it a try, after which I wished I had not, first Picasa stopped halfway through D/load, massage Disc full. after clearing the D/L, I was silly enough to try Gimp, with the same effect, after clearing that, the computer started crashing ' Blue Page Warnings that windows was having to close it down',
    I am still getting at least one of these a day. The Pixir, I went to the site and looked at it, looked
    a little beyond me, but I will go back when my G/son has looked into the Crashes, he is in no hurry, he says I must learn to do as I am told.

Gypsyman
    27 Nov 2010 - 9:02 PM

Second Attempt, Taken today, rather far away but at full X3 on my camera.
    'Hungry Birds'

dsc04821.jpg

Sandgrouse
    Sandgrouse e2 Member 7407 forum postsSandgrouse vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2010 - 6:10 PM

The top 2/3 has a nice pattern shot and the bottom 1/3 has all the action but the two don't seem to gel. From a black and white point of view the blacks have detail and its got a good tonal range, if i was been picky i would l the snow to be slightly whiter. For me its more the composition rather than the B&W processing.

If you upload images to the gallery you may get a quicker response, not everyone checks the forums

Rick

Gypsyman
    30 Nov 2010 - 6:38 PM

Thank you Rick, I tried to lighten the snow, but did not know how to do it, without spoiling the Black. Eric.
    Ps. The background is a hedge with snow on it.

Last Modified By Gypsyman at 30 Nov 2010 - 6:40 PM
    pentaxpete
    2 Dec 2010 - 2:24 PM

You asked me to comment on this --well, I agree with Rick-- the same comments really -- on first look all I saw was the pattern of the flowers in the black hedge -- the 'main subject' the birds are hidden too dark in the bottom half -- if it was a 'film' negative then it would be easy to print it lighter on a softer grade of paper and everything would stand out better.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2010 - 2:48 PM

Quote: Thanks for the above advice, but sadly you do not know that my computer is a very old
    one, one that was thrown away many years ago, which my G/son got working for me to play on.
    He told me then that I could not download anything on to it, as the H/D and Ram would not take it.

You may want to look at a new machine, as it sounds like the one you have will have difficulty in running any of the current software.

looboss
    looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2010 - 11:59 PM

Well if you have an old computer, why download the programmes you cant run?

try an online editor such as this one: http://pixlr.com/editor/
    has filters, layers, etc... basic but etter than nothing.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2010 - 12:59 AM

Quote: try an online editor such as this one: http://pixlr.com/editor/
    has filters, layers, etc... basic but etter than nothing

Better still, reinstall with the latest ubuntu, its surprising how much faster and better an old pc can run with this.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.