Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more
Can't Access your Account?
New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
In catching up on a backlog of photos submitted to the Group I was struck by the range of cameras used. I have an idea to encourage a bit more audience participation but this will really only work if our members process their images to some extent. So I thought it may be interesting to do a bit of research (and of course share the result!). It would be helpful if, over the next month or so, you could answer the following questions:
When taking your photographs for black and white purposes:
1. Do you normally shoot colour photos
2. Do you normally shoot in RAW
3. Do you normally shoot colour JPEGs
4. Do you normally shoot mono JPEGs in camera
5. Do you normally use black and white film , do you often use film?
When you shoot mono JPEGs or film
6. Do you normally process or develop these on a PC similar. By process I mean development adjustments beyond cropping or sharpening
7. When you process your shots (Raw or JPEG) what software or applications do you use?
I have used the word "normally" to get your usual or preferred practice. As an example I more or less always shot in Raw but there are ocaissions when I do shoot JPEGs for example.
I will leave this to run over the next 4 weeks or so to allow for holidays. If the answers suggest the questions need a bit of tuning I will let you know. I would really like a healthy response to this but do not necessarily expect 421 replies!!!
As an example, these are my answers:
4. No, unless camera is set on RAW + JPEG
5. No, I do often use film
7. Lightroom 4 and CS5
I would be happy to get any questions or comments
Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.
7. Capture Nx and CS6
5. I don't use film at all
6. Yes, exposure, white balance, mono conversions
It may be worth you getting a free account at Survey Monkey, although that does limit you to 100 responses.
7. Lightroom 4
5. No, never these days
6. Yes, on the rare occasions
7. Lightroom 5 and Topaz B&W Effects2
3 Yes (depends on camera and subject)
5 Yes, 2 or 3 films a year.
4 No NEVER!
7 Photoshop using Guy Gowan's Mono Action, and Nik Silver Effex pro
7. CS5 and Topaz plug ins.
5. No, I don't use film
6. No, I don't use film
7. PaintshopPro 7, occasionally GIMP (resizes things better than my ancient version of PaintshopPro) and Photoscape (which has some nice filters)
5. I have 3 Olympus OM Cameras loaded with B & W film. I use them occasionally.
6. No I send them away for development and putting on a CD.
7. I use an Olympus Master 2 Programme
5. Not any more.
6. Doesn't apply.
7. Lightroom V.5 (or whichever version I'm currently using), Photoshop CS6, Virtual Photographer.
5. No, do not use film.
6. Not applicable
7 Elements 11 / Silver efex Pro2
1. Do you normally shoot colour photos - Yes
2. Do you normally shoot in RAW-Yes
3. Do you normally shoot colour JPEGs-No
4. Do you normally shoot mono JPEGs in camera- No Way.
5. Do you normally use black and white film , do you often use film? - Nope do not intend to use film again, ever.
When you shoot mono JPEGs or film
6. Do you normally process or develop these on a PC similar. I Do not Shoot Film or Jpgs
7. When you process your shots (Raw or JPEG) what software or applications do you use? - Lightroom for RAW
ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.
You must be a member to leave a comment
Get the latest photography news straight from ePHOTOzine in your email every month and win prizes!
1st July 2014 - 31st July 2014
Check out ePHOTOzine's inspirational photo month calendar! Each day click on a window to unveil new photography tips, treats and techniques.
View July's Photo Month Calendar