Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How many started with their love of Black and White in th Darkroom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
keith selmes
30 Aug 2010 - 12:08 AM

Did you start out in a wet darkroom? NO
What Is your preference B&W (inc. toned etc, etc) or Colour or no preference? No Preference

But life is not that simple.
When I was a very small person, my father showed me how to make tiny contact prints without a dark room.
Much later he made an an enlarger out of bits of scrap, and used that without a proper darkroom.
I thought he was very clever, but also I realised that with ingenuity ordinary people can do this in their home without any fancy equipment and without a darkroom.

Later on I used colour print film, and then transparency film. Colour was the norm before digital photography arrived.
Black and white was the old fashioned stuff father did.

But even later on, I thought I would try some processing myself, and since B&W is cheaper and simpler to do, here I am.

I don't love mono.
It just happens that
a) some images, film or digital, work better in mono.
b)if you're doing chemical photography, mono is cheaper and easier to process and print

I've never spent any time in a darkroom, so I don't have any unhappy memories,and have not been liberated from it.
I'd quite like one, more as a hobby thing, only its not so much the enlarger I need as an extra room to put it in.

It might be true that, if my father had not given me the idea, I might not be using film at all now.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2010 - 12:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2010 - 11:35 AM

Started with B&W film, developing my own at work.

No preference, its all down to the image

I prefer digital as I can process my images in the same way but without the chemicals and its much easier to store my "negatives".

Processed properly and using the right papers (doesn't that sound familiar?Wink ) the results are, to my eye, at least as good as the wet developed prints.

Nostalgia is definitely a thing of the past for me!

MrDennis
MrDennis  5227 forum posts Wales
30 Aug 2010 - 6:52 PM

Those were the days! Colour Neg developed in shop, to colour slide, developed in shop. Got more interested so went for a City & Guilds course.
B&W was the norm in lockal Photography College. Got bitten by the B&W bug so bought all the trays, timer, chemicals and an MPP B&W Enlarger. Still got the enlarger.
Took another City & Guilds course and passed. Went for City & Guilds 3 and bought an Meopta opemus 6 B&W Enlarger with Colour head as well.
After gaining a City & Guilds 7 in B&W, I decided to learn how to do Lith in the darkroom thanks to two Photography Technicians giveing me the BUG!
I Loved Lith. Mixing the A + B Kodalith with a little of the old stuff, and seeing that image arrive in the tray was more exciting than normal B&W to me. Snatching it out at the correct time was more miss than hit at first.
Then Digital arrived along with photoshop. Then the Actions to install. No more Spilt dev etc., on the floor or on the clothes. No more SMELL!
Funny thing, the excitment is still there even though I'm useing PSCS4&5.
My friend still uses the darkroom and mixes his own chemicals from Crystals. He's a wizard in the darkroom and will not use Digital.
The old arguement we have is this--I say I now save cash because I not buy film, He says BUT! you still buying cards, ink, paper and all kinds of things that is never ending so I'm now spending more than him. I Think he be correct, but don't tell him. LOL
Long Live B&W...

fatherpie
fatherpie  6 England12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 10:52 AM

Regardless of format - analogue or digital - I suspect that B&W will be here for a long long time. I have introduced several friends to B&W recently and each has remarked that it gives them another creative outlet. As you say... Long Live B&W Grin

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 11:06 AM

I've never been in a dark room - what they like?

I saw one on The Omen once - he kept seeing lines through himself then got beheadded, so I always assumed they were evil places and best avoided Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 1:21 PM

Quote: I saw one on The Omen once - he kept seeing lines through himself then got beheadded, so I always assumed they were evil places and best avoided

Ade, you have been hanging around far too many grave yards Smile

Started out doing B&W, had a dark room for a fair few years, I then went digital and got rid of the lot.

For me nothing beats a small range finder or zone focusing manual film camera, out on the streets at night. I`m now back in full swing and always looking out for bargins in charity shops, car boots etc.

Simply fire and forget, your not getting bogged down with iffy auto focus, no chimping you just move on knowing full well you had nailed your target in one hit.

My latest, a couple of quid from a charity shop, a quick strip and clean, new light seals and it was ready to go.

p9013656.jpg

Nothing special for the seals, a bit of felt and some double sided tape.

p9013660.jpg

A few more that I`ve serviced and get a lot of use.

p9013661.jpg

The Minolta`s only used at dusk, its auto focus only

A few from some of the trips

5-lrg-599-1264719792.jpg
1-lrg-599-1262008722.jpg
4-lrg-599-1263330771.jpg
1-lrg-599-1264110298.jpg

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 5:30 PM

Just trolling !

Superb Paul.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123913 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 6:24 PM

Did you start out in a wet darkroom? Yes, red light, music, bottle of red, fumes, raging headache, nothing quite like it.
What Is your preference B&W (inc. toned etc, etc) or Colour or no preference? B&W preferred but also colour neg and positive.

I have my old darkroom cluttering up cupboards ready for another mono print; will I ? Like heck my new Canon printer does excellent B&W prints equal to anything under the enlarger but you never know I may one day take a trip to nostalgia.

I toned mainly selenium and sepia; I have a book that outlines Uranium Nitrate toning ...........

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 6:58 PM

Quote: Ade, you have been hanging around far too many grave yards

many a true word ... There's one at the end of his road !!

It reminds me I haven't been out to get a mono for a while (infrared experiment aside) must change that at the weekend.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2010 - 10:16 PM

Quote: A few from some of the trips

That snow picture's ace.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2010 - 1:37 PM

it must have been the red light tempting me in, but recently i just threw the lot in a skip, good riddance because im getting better and more consistant results from digital printing.

the real fun one was cibachrome colour prints,-- rolling drums around for hours and then finding you had a caste--again

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2010 - 1:58 PM

Quote: many a true word ... There's one at the end of his road !!

it's closer than that - I'm looking at it now as I type! just been a burial in fact.

it's over my garden fence

looks like they're filling the hole now.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2010 - 2:48 PM

No Ade now's Not the time to experiment with the Lensbaby- don't think the relatives would be impressed Wink

Last Modified By Nick_w at 2 Sep 2010 - 2:51 PM
randomrubble
2 Sep 2010 - 3:39 PM

I took up photography with colour, then when I went to art college to study architecture I used thier darkrooms. By the time I'd left the (Mid 90s) the darkrooms had been replaced by a CGI/3d/videogame programming suite!

I do prefer colour though.

barrovian
barrovian e2 Member 10160 forum postsbarrovian vcard United Kingdom
2 Sep 2010 - 5:51 PM

Did you start out in a wet darkroom? YES
What Is your preference B&W (inc. toned etc, etc) or Colour or no preference? NO PREFERENCE
So long ago now but still remember the never ending delight at the magic as the print became visible. Nothing in the digital world comes close, but I wouldn't go back - too time consuming and messy.

P

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.