Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New leader.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jestertheclown
    17 Aug 2012 - 8:28 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure that I like the term 'leader!'

Anyway, since Rick's finding himself more than a little busy of late, I've agreed, for my sins, to take over his róle as leader of the group.
    I'm not best known on here for my black and white stuff although it's something that's interested me for some time and I've made more than the occasional foray into channel mixers and suchlike in search of the best/easiest/quickest method of converting colour to monotone/duotone etc.
    I'm interested in learning more about techniques and I'll no doubt be picking your brains regarding how all of you go about achieving a worthwhile result.
    Likewise, if anyone has a question of me, feel free to ask.
    As you may know, I'm a regular in the critique gallery and very active in the forums. I'm also in the throes of compiling a 'Photo 366' blog and a set of albums.
    If anyone's not sure what that is, it entails taking a photograph every day for a year and since this is a leap year and I began before the end of February, I've gained a day!
    I'm hoping that the group will continue to do well and if anyone has any bright ideas about how it could be improved or if there are any changes you'd like to see made; please just speak up.
    As yet, I don't know all of you although I'm sure that will change over time.
    I've also agreed to take over the 'Black and White challenge' group which appears to be struggling slightly at the moment so perhaps some of you would give it some support?
    There's no reason not to upload the same image in both groups provided it's been taken within the challenge's time frame.
    It will be a shame to see it go the way of so many other groups and slip away because of lack of support, so please put your thinking caps on and help out.

Good luck everyone!

Bren.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Aug 2012 - 8:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn
    JawDborn e2 Member 2687 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
    19 Aug 2012 - 1:44 PM

Hi Bren et al,

Possibly one reason groups founder is because one wonders if anyone ever looks at the image that is downloaded. Even a couple of words or even a just a smiley would be heartening and encouraging. Constructive comments and criticism would be even more welcome to fellow group members.

Any B & W photos that may raise a smile or two, either by virtue of their content or by their caption would be welcome at 'The Corn Exchange' group started recently by Jadus.

Jestertheclown
    19 Aug 2012 - 2:38 PM

Looks good doesn't it?

I've uploaded a few shots, although I wasn't able to upload two of them directly from my pf., which is a shame because one of them had garnered quite a few comments but never mind. They're in there now.

You'll need to promote the group somehow. As you know, people will only take part, if they know it exists and if it hadn't been for you and indirectly, the B/W groups, I'd be none the wiser.

Bren.

JawDborn
    19 Aug 2012 - 3:05 PM

Thanks for your advice, Bren. Any suggestions for promoting the group, please?. I'm not as 'au fait' with EPZ as yourself being a comparative newcomer.
    I'm sure Jade would like to get the group 'off the ground,'

Cheers,

Jack

Jestertheclown
    19 Aug 2012 - 3:43 PM

I'm not entirely sure myself Jack.
    While I'm pretty much aware of how most things work (or otherwise) on here, the groups feature has always been something of mystery to me.
    With regard to the B/W groups, which I've agreed to look after, I'm just going to keep pushing them in the forums and anywhere else that I find myself posting.
    It might be an idea to mention your/our groups when welcoming newcomers to the site as well. If we can make people aware of the groups as they step in the door, there's more chance that they might become interested.
    There's no reason either, why we shouldn't promote each others' groups. It's not as if we're in competition.
    Ade Mcfade's something of an expert when it comes to making groups work and Pete's alway's a good source of advice on the subject too.
    Perhaps we need to ask?

Bren.

JawDborn
    19 Aug 2012 - 4:08 PM

Thank for your advice, Bren. Good of you to take the trouble.

Cheers,
    Jack

Gypsyman
    Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
    23 Aug 2012 - 7:41 PM

Bren, Good Luck with your new Task. Eric.

Jestertheclown
    23 Aug 2012 - 7:58 PM

Hi Eric and thank you.

Would I be right in thinking that you no longer want to be a part of the B/W challenge? I seem to recall that you said something along those lines quite recently.
    If that is the case and I don't know your reasons for leaving; they're none of my business but you're very welcome to rethink and rejoin us.
    I've taken over at the helm in there too.
    Please consider it.
    Bren.

Gypsyman
    Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
    25 Aug 2012 - 6:59 AM

Thanks Bren, I am no Photographer only a Snap-Shotter, I like Mono and joind the groups hoping to improve my efforts of changing my
    coloured snaps to B&W. The group (this) gave me no help, very few comments on my submissions. A few said use programmes I do not have,
    and of which I would have very little Idea how to use if I had.
    The Challenge group was so badly supported I won a few times with my snaps, but this did not advance me, only made me see a little work
    that I would have liked to have done. However the Programmes and Camera used where not within my reach.
    The New Mono Group was more helpful with advice, but again very few commented on and I know I will not reach the level of attainment they
    seek. Thanks Again. Sincerely yours Eric. ( Gypsyman).

Jestertheclown
    25 Aug 2012 - 8:07 AM

OK Eric,
    Thanks for your honesty. The door's always open though. Keep popping back, even if you only upload now and again or if you have an image of which you're particularly proud, you'll always be very welcome.

Bren.

Wilco54
    Wilco54 e2 Member 2128 forum postsWilco54 vcard Luxembourg1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Sep 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hi Leader!
    I think what really lacks is the critique on photos that are posted! I dont know why but, speaking for myself, I know what I like in a photo but am conscious that my own are not stellar quality (in the artistic sense) so it may be felt inappropriate to comment on someone else's picture. But I think we should encourage that. Also suggesting other means of converting to mono is really instructive and I found the exercise on the shot of the bikers in the desert very interesting.

Regarding using forums for critique our members should go and have a look at Fredmiranda.com and look at the critique there. Some of it can be pretty brutal and occaisionally there are on-line spats but overall I think they are very interesting to read.The Peopel Photography forum is particularly strong! I am a bit of a lurker but really enjoy looking at the photos that are posted and reading others comments, its a great learning source.

The other thing about EPZ that really frustrates me is how you cannot get pictures uploaded into multiple galleries easily. I should correct that statement and say I cant upload into multiple galleries easily! For example I can see times when I would like to post the same image to the weekly challenge, the black and white group and the main portfolio and right now its really convoluted.

I like EPZ and would really welcome comments on anything I post and look forward to a more open attitude in teh group and the forum!

I wish you luck and anything I can help with, let me know
    Chris

Wilco54
    Wilco54 e2 Member 2128 forum postsWilco54 vcard Luxembourg1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Sep 2012 - 10:22 PM

ps, for Gypsyman - I am no software expert but am always happy to share ideas on conversion techniques! I use CS and Lightroom but also use really simple techniques like palying with desaturation and also plug-ins like BW Styler which I really really like because of teh old effects it gives! PM me if you want to make contact and share ideas!
    Chris

Jestertheclown
    21 Sep 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi Chris,

For one reason or another, I've been absent a bit too often just recently. I even missed out on the weekly black and white challenge, of which I've also become leader.
    I'll have a think on everything that you've just said and see what can be done to improve things. Personally, I thrive on critique, both giving and receiving. The critique gallery is my first port of call on here. Critique can and in my mind should, become quite brutal at times and I'd love to be able to be a lot more cutting in my comments but unfortunately, it's not to be.

As for the uploading thing, I know how you feel.
    I upload a shot every day to my blog; I'm doing a photo 366 project and upload the same one to my albums. If I also upload that shot to the gallery, as I sometimes do, it can take what seems like a lifetime.

Just a thought, having read your post to Eric. One of us could always begin a new thread offering or asking for favourite methods of converting to mono. Perhaps people would like to turn some of them into tutorials?

I shall get back to you!

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 21 Sep 2012 - 10:37 PM
    Wilco54
    22 Sep 2012 - 9:50 AM

I look forward to hearing from you! i too have a "one a day" project but its all colours including mono. I post mine on flickr and Facebook!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.