Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

DSLR video - what say you? (group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RoggyP
    RoggyP  4
    8 Jul 2010 - 9:05 AM

Here's your chance to get it off your chest about DSLR video. Good idea, not sure or the devil's spawn?

From my perspective, I was very sceptical at first, but then I was about moving from film to digital. My waryness of digital was largely due to a lack of understanding on my part and I think this applies with video now. I believe that video and stills photography can co-exist quite happily, but dismissing DSLR video is, in my opinion at least, similar to refusing to use a wide-angle lens simply because you don't take that kind of image. Video is another form of image capture and, as such, should be embraced. Discuss!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Jul 2010 - 9:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
    8 Jul 2010 - 9:36 AM

I have had camera's and mobile phones that take video now for many years and I have never once used the function at all. I have no problem with people who want it or use it but as a still photographer I dont particularly want to pay for a function that I do not want.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jul 2010 - 11:30 AM

I have been 50/50 stills/video for many years and am glad the technology is catching up with my requirements! Grin

As to the cost of adding video to a stills camera... it is minimal. Which is why even the cheapest compacts and camera phones can incorporate the feature.

onetreehill
    24 Jul 2012 - 11:18 PM

I, too, would be surprised if a DSLR costs more because it has a video capability. The reason it is in DSLRs is that the market wants it. The amateur (non-enthusiast, whatever label suits) market likes the combination in compacts, and uses it. They also use it in mobile phones. While the hardline stills photographer sees it as the devil's work a lot of others see it as another creative opportunity.
    I've messed about for 6 years or so on a lo fi video camera and the idea of a HD movie camera with good glass and depth of field for under a 1000 is sucking me in, especially as I can combine it with an upgrade to my DSLR.
    The issue for ephotozine is whether they embrace it and grow their market, or stay as they are and what? Lose members? Dunno.
    Whatever, it is too late to bleat about it being in a DSLR. I have a friend who has just started a photography business, brave man. I reckon he ought to tune up his video skills as well.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 11:25 PM

All I can say is "this are Ace"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075429US/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&...

Smile Smile

Jestertheclown
    24 Jul 2012 - 11:47 PM

I used the video function on a bridge camera that I bought in about 2004 as my daughter was, at that time, daft enough to sing and dance in front of it for a few minutes at a time.
    Nowadays, she wouldn't dream of doing anything like that, although she still sometimes videos herself on another bridge camera that I've got.
    As for the video capability on my DSLR, I tried it once, when I bought the camera, just for a few seconds, just to make sure it worked and haven't looked at it since. The same goes for live view as well.

User_Removed
    25 Jul 2012 - 12:47 AM

Quote: DSLR video. Good idea

Anything that lets me shoot moving pictures with all of my expensive lenses is a good idea.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2012 - 1:06 AM

I find moving pictures on the telly so annoying - I'd much rather have a slideshow of stills! Grin Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.