Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sample videos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RoggyP
    RoggyP  4
    17 Jul 2010 - 8:57 AM

If you're wondering what all the fuss is about with DSLR video, it's worth checking out the work of a guy called Vincent Laforet. You'll find plenty of his work on YouTube, but this one is my favourite: Nocturne. It was shot using an EOS 1D Mk IV.

Vincent has a blog as well which you'll find here

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jul 2010 - 8:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jul 2010 - 5:48 PM

Impressive stuff. Especially liked the iPHone4 example of sticking the iphone on a model railway carriage. Understand that a recent version of HOUSE was also shot entirely on a Canon 5D MK 11.

Shows what can be done with dSLR video when used by professionals.

Wish I understood the pros and cons of dSLR video versus normal video better.

Also feel that many photographers have to learn a new skill-set in being able to shoot edit and produce video.

RoggyP
    RoggyP  4
    18 Jul 2010 - 11:54 AM

You're right, the last episode in the latest season of House was shot on 5D MkIIs and I was watching a BBC drama called The Silence which looked suspiciously like it it had some parts that were shot with a DSLR.

Main pros of DSLR video are threefold, and they're mostly based around image quality:
    1) The sensor size is that much bigger than the sensor in a camcorder so quality is higher
    2) Couple that with the fact that you're using DSLR lenses which are designed to resolve still images and are much less forgiving (optically speaking) than a video camera lens
    3) More of an aesthetic thing, really. But the depth-of-field effects possible with a DSLR are much more precise than with a video camera, that's why you see a lot of effects in Laforet's work where just a minute portion of the frame is in sharp focus.

Biggest downside is sound quality. Integral mikes aren't great so you need to invest in additional gear to get both great pictures and great sound.

User_Removed
    25 Jul 2012 - 11:34 AM

Biggest downside for me (compared to proper video cameras) is that it's much harder to focus (you need a follow focus at least), you need to buy an EVF or loupe and handling is different.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.