Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What equipment have you bought to help with your camera's video?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
User_Removed
25 Jul 2012 - 11:50 AM

I intend to get into it much more this year and will buy a few extras it would be interesting to hear about other people's purchases.

I ordered a Manfrotto 701 video head, not smooth enough for the price, so sent it back. Have ordered this cheap fluid (effect) head for now. It's taking bloody ages to come so I reckon it's being shipped from China as there are a lot of those on eBay that come from China. I talked to someone who has one and he reckons you'd have to spend 300 to beat it.

Next on the shopping list is a dlsr rig with follow focus and slider rail

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2012 - 11:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2012 - 12:47 PM

I tend to use my monopod, rather than a tripod, for video these days. I've had my current one for several years, but I do wish I'd bought the Manfrotto 682B model. Might bite the bullet and get one this year.... depends how much videoing I'm likely to be called upon to do. Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2012 - 1:44 PM

I bought 2 super daylight bright fluorescent bulbs to light an area - soften them through white shoot through brollies and mount them on those screw in light fitting for lighting stands.

I did look at one of those arm stabilisers too to smoothen hand holding.

MikeA
MikeA  91133 forum posts England
25 Jul 2012 - 2:15 PM

Vinten Pro-6 tripod, have a Manfrotto 501-crap, motorised slider + home brew controller eMotimo TB3. Dragonframe software. For time-lapse and video.

Stuart463
Stuart463 e2 Member 6551 forum postsStuart463 vcard United Kingdom
25 Jul 2012 - 2:29 PM

Bought the Rode Stereo Videomic so that I could record sound in Stereo on my D300s.

keith selmes
25 Jul 2012 - 2:59 PM

Manfrotto 200 head, Rode Stereo Video mic, Zoom H1 sound recorder, Sony Vegas.

But my DSLR doesn't do video, so before all that, I got a Panasonic GH1 Smile

The H1 is not specifically for video, but should be a useful addition.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2012 - 3:28 PM

The Rode mic is a good one (probably the best) but if you want a smaller lighter mic, the Sony ECM-MSD1 has stood me in good stead for many years - used it on camcorders and also the Canon 5D2. Haven't yet used it on the Oly OM-D. Note: the omni-directional mic which comes with the Oly adaptor is rubbish.... I got better results from the OM-D's built in mic!

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8494 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
25 Jul 2012 - 4:49 PM

These viewfinders are a very useful addition. Because you're holding the camera against your eye, as opposed to holding it a arm's length, it gives much better stability. It's also much better for seeing what you're trying to focus on.

It's relatively cheap at around 45 bearing in mind that the Zacuto Z finder is about 285 (although obviously not as good). Seagull also do one for 75 on Amazon.

If you're working with the camera tripod mounted, one of the most useful accessories is a 6" monitor so you can actually see what you're doing! If you can't afford a Marshall or similar unit, Lilliput have a reasonably priced range.

Microphones and external recorders are useful if you're going to do any serious work.

Original link was wrong...now ok.

Last Modified By rogerfry at 25 Jul 2012 - 5:25 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214380 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2012 - 6:36 PM

Quote: Next on the shopping list is a dlsr rig with follow focus and slider rail

I was watching something on Vimeo recomending rubber jar openers, checking out Amazon I found you can get them here in the uk.

https://vimeo.com/20301862
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075429US/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Jul 2012 - 6:37 PM
Carabosse
25 Jul 2012 - 6:59 PM

I like cheap solutions like that! Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214380 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2012 - 7:00 PM

They work really quite well

Just the sort of stuff that should be available in the EPZ shop Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Jul 2012 - 7:03 PM
User_Removed
25 Jul 2012 - 7:49 PM

I saw your other post about them Paul and I thought then I bet they would work well. They are certainly cheap enough to try. I could see me attaching one to the zoom on the lens, not so much for zooming while recording but just because of different holding position when using DSLR in video mode.

Really want a slider (have considered Varavon one video below but seen mixed reviews) anyone know anything about these cheap Hague sliders?

Paul Morgan
25 Jul 2012 - 7:54 PM

I`m trying to put something together for my lensbaby`s, proving a bit of a nightmare Smile

User_Removed
25 Jul 2012 - 8:18 PM

I bet when they use LBs for movies and other big productions one guy will operate only the Lens Baby. He'll probably have a big monitor to get good feedback on the effect. What about one of those control freaks?

Paul Morgan
25 Jul 2012 - 8:41 PM

Quote: What about one of those control freaks?

Yeh I have one of the old versions of that, the 3g, handy if you want to lock focus, then make fine adjustments.

I`ve seen some really cool stuff thats been done with them, mostly music video`s and commercials, and just one film, that camera man had some skill.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401383/

Some of the best stuff is pretty cheap Smile

http://philipbloom.net/2012/02/01/the-art-of-lens-whacking-real-lights-leaks-and...
https://vimeo.com/12001117
https://vimeo.com/31896063

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.