Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Low light video?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 2:01 PM

I recorded some friends at a small pub, but the lighting is non-existant on the act. So the video is DARK, very dark. I put in +1 EV and it looked pretty good on the screen, but on the computer it's way too dark. I can adjust it in VLC player (gamma/brightness) and that helps, and Youtube says it will make it brighter... but it's still very dark. I used the kit lens, and I expect the camera was using the highest ISO available for video. (Olympus OM-D E-M5).

Any advice - I guess I should have used a brighter lens, or attached an LED light to the flash hot-shoe?

Last Modified By joshwa at 2 Nov 2012 - 2:01 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Nov 2012 - 2:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
2 Nov 2012 - 2:38 PM

You could try gamma correction in Vegas Video or one of the other editing programs. You could run it through latest Photoshop with a curves adjustment

To avoid it in future you need a lens with wide aperture for sure and camera with good high iso.

My S95 shot no bother in the dark (last part of this was street lights at 10pm) Think Canon's high ISO performance might surpass Olympus. To the naked eye the sky was black!

The start of this was shot in a totally dark room and you can still make out people in the room. Even when the lights were on it was normal pub kind of lighting. Looks like a TV studio played back.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 5:31 PM

Quote: I used the kit lens

I agree with Chris about the lens - f3.5 (or smaller if you zoom) won't cut it for low light. You really need to be using a lens with an aperture of f2 or wider. I would be using my Panny 20mm/f1.7 for indoor stuff. Also you don't say what your auto-ISO cut-off is set to (mine is 1600): it may not have been high enough for the lighting conditions.

Using Vegas (or similar) you can increase the brightness very easily, but you will also need to increase contrast to avoid it looking flat. Do it in gradual steps, i.e. increase brightness a bit, then contrast, then brightness etc until you get an acceptable result.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 8:34 PM

Working in any auto mode your going to need a lot more compensation, 2 stops or more.

An led light or a small video light that attaches to a flash shoe could be good.

Or if you want to splash some cash, get the new FL600 flash, it has a video light built in.

A fast lens is not always needed, especially for video, its not as if fast shutter speeds are needed, 1/30 or 1/40 of a second is ample.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 2 Nov 2012 - 8:36 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 9:33 PM

Quote: its not as if fast shutter speeds are needed, 1/30 or 1/40 of a second is ample.

For video you need a minimum of that sort of speed and, if the aperture is not wide enough to compensate (or ISO high enough), you get underexposure.

For stills you can have a lower shutter speed and get away with it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 9:36 PM

Hence the need for two or three stops of compensation, or a light.

User_Removed
2 Nov 2012 - 9:39 PM

The reason you can't go longer than eg 1/25 is that you're probably shooting video at around 25 frames per second or more.

With a slow shutter speed It would be time to shoot the next image (frame) before the exposure had completed.

I've not had to use a light or exposure compensation with my S95 and S100 videos. Maybe the metering is better. It looks like Josh's camera exposed for the lights behind the performers.

Carabosse
2 Nov 2012 - 9:42 PM

Quote: It looks like Josh's camera exposed for the lights behind the performers.

Yep.

Quote: I've not had to use a light or exposure compensation with my S95 and S100 videos.

I've never had to on any camera I've ever used.

Paul Morgan
2 Nov 2012 - 9:43 PM

I believe its generally recommended to shot a little faster than your selected video mode.

Would a faster lens be more useful, yes and no, you might not want a very shallow dof especially shooting groups of friends in poor light.

User_Removed
2 Nov 2012 - 9:46 PM

Do you shoot much video Paul?

Paul Morgan
2 Nov 2012 - 10:19 PM

A little, I`ve found tweaking the tone curve helps in low light.

User_Removed
2 Nov 2012 - 10:45 PM

I think the shooting rule about shutter speeds is to try to stick to multiples of frame rate. So brightness permitting when shooting 25fps video choose shutter speeds of 1/25 1/50 1/100 etc rather than 1/60 1/120 etc otherwise you can get a strobing effect.

Paul Morgan
2 Nov 2012 - 10:56 PM

I`ve still got a lot to learn and find the hole thing fascinating.

I got to see some pictures taken from video stills of my own insides yesterday taken during surgery, that must take some lighting to get right Smile

Carabosse
2 Nov 2012 - 11:23 PM

Quote: I got to see some pictures taken from video stills of my own insides yesterday taken during surgery

We won't mind if you don't post them! Wink

User_Removed
3 Nov 2012 - 12:03 AM

I wanna see lol! Did you have a light meal to illuminate them Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.