Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lyon visit

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

GDO 4 23 Czech Republic
15 May 2011 6:48PM
Hello all,

i will not present any program of events in Lyon because there are a lot of things that are already in tourism office web-site but prefer to propose you what i did during one long week-end. We took opportunity with my wife that i had some business trip on client site in Lyon to spend a nice week-end there.
First of all, at the arriva l to airport ia dvice oyu to take the Rhone express train, 1 every 15 minutes and it let you in center just near train station of Lyon Part Dieu ( by the way it's my daily shot by night ).
From there we choosed an hotel at few hundred meters, a studio with kitchen, less expensive that a normal room and you save a bit by cooking yourself.
If you spend there just 2 or 3 days, here are my favorite places :

Parc de la Tete d'Or, a big park where you have lake, small zoo, botanic garden, very calm, people can go with dogs, bikes etc.. I recommend you a tour of lake by electric boat, that's very pleasant or you can keep the little train of park, or just walk and enjoy.

Old city of Lyon :
several solutions to visit, we did it from town building to Place Bellecourt, through Rue de la Republique, and stopped to see the cathedral. It was a bit easy because it was not my 1st visit but i would advice you to go directly to Place Bellecourt, the biggest one of Lyon and take documentation to Tourism Office, they are very nice and have everything in english.

Touristic tour by bus : seem a bit expensive but is really great, from 1st tour on morning to last one, you can stop on several places and take the next one or even other late one, doesn't matter ( ticket is for full day ).

Basilica of Fourviere : that's mandatory and you have to keep the funiculaire to go up, that's absolutely splendid and you will have fantastic view of Lyon ( one of my shots in pf is also form inside the basilic).

Evening : i recommend you to test at least one time a local restaurant of old Lyon, sereral are there but we had very good moment in " Le petit Glouton", they noticed my wife is not french and were presenting the meals to her every-time they were going with to some table. Positive point, they also speak english.
I am totally fan of Andouillete Lyonnaise but up to oyu to test their specialties

Cruise on Rhone and Saone : several trips are possible, we did the one called Confluent, showing the city, i would like to do the evening one. The guide doesn't really speak very good english ( even for frenchy like me) but i think you can support it.
NB. : try to be the 1st on boat to be on the platform on backside of boat, you will have better view and will enjoy more.

Shopping : we went only to the Shopping Center of La Part Dieu, it's one of the biggest i think and enough, lot of choice.

Transport : if you plan to visit a lot of places, i recommend you on morning to take metro ticket for full day ( to go from PArt Dieu to Bellecourt, then to basilica and somewhere else after and you already have benefits). You will notice the bikes in Lyon, it has been the first ( big ) city in France to provide bikes steps everywhere, for few euros you can have a bike for all day and if you take it less than 30 minutes that will cost nearly nothing, another way to visit.

Feedback : a very nice city, calm and whre transport is not a problem. A lot of things to visit and specialties to test.

Budget, for 2 without Plane :

hotel : 70 euros / night
transport : public 10 euros/day for 2 persons
Food : depend if you rent studio, eat sandwiches or prefer 3 stars places. Students would be able i think to eat for 20 euros/day/person ( from breakfast to lunch), after it's up to you..

That's all, i hope it will be usefull for some of you, if oyu want a bit more informations contact me by private mail and i will try to help you.

Regards,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GDO 4 23 Czech Republic
23 May 2011 10:50AM
To complete a bit the resume, here are some pics. I will do several posts with photos.
Along Rhone, hill of Fourviere is on left side 9 but we don't see it, that's just to locate the place a bit)

-mg-8034.jpg

Enrance of Parc de la Tete d'OR
-mg-7972.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.