Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

IR Profiles for Raw Processing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dave_Canon
    24 Oct 2010 - 2:09 PM

I have been using a custome WB in my IR Camera but it is limited to 2,000 degrees K but should clearly be less than this. Using the Adobe DNG Profiles Editor, you can use the WB calibration feature to bring the custome WB into range. Having now tried this the images are more neutral and this may well be better for B&W IR.

Using the previous limited WB and colour swapping produced a pleasing look with sky and water being blue and foliage a light pink. Using the new custome profile for IR, I find that I now need to introduce a colour bias to re-create the previous pleasing colour effect. Has anyone else any views on this?

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Oct 2010 - 2:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 9:27 AM

I prefer to shoot in RAW and filter out the red in Lightroom. It works well with my Pentax *ist D conversion

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73801 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 9:49 AM

This is something i too have been looking at. Damien Lovegrove has an article on his site on custom DNG profiles. Yes in Lightroom you are restricted to 2000k so it can be problematic. Tho for mono conversions it shouldn't be necesary.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 9:57 AM

Whoops didn't click with the title that Dave is already using RAW. Do you need to get white balance correct? I can understand if you were shooting colour infrared but with black and white you just drop down to the mono editor and play around with the red and orange filters.

Dave_Canon
    25 Oct 2010 - 10:17 AM

Interesting, I was talking to Damien Lovegrove only last Thursday (lectured at my Club and was excellent) but did not discuss IR with him. I had also noted that there were lots of tips on his website so I will have another look at this.

I did not consider that I had a problem but following advice from those with much more experience (e.g. Clive Haynes) a custom WB is recommended. This does make sense in that you fix the WB to a sensible staring point which become the default when the image is loaded to lightroom. I do not want to alter the WB for each image. As suggested, it probably matters little for B&W anyway. However, this 2,000 degrees k limited WB does result in an interesting effect when combined with channel swapping. Having discovered that I can now compensate for this 2,000 k limit by a calibration profile, I am not sure it has bought me anything useful. Yes the images are more neutral but I am not sure I want them to be i.e. is there any value at all in applying this compensating profile.

I was just wondering if anyone else could see any real advantage. Give that Adobe Labs take the trouble to publish how to do this, I assumed that it must be of some value.

Dave

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73801 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 11:32 AM

As an aside Damien uses custom profiles to ensure the output of his 5D II is the same as his wifes D700 for consistancy when preparing albums, but he also has profiles for his IR converted 5D.

I was thinking of doing the same for both IR images on my converted D80 (must get round to some serious trials) - and for using the "Big Stopper" to correct the WB shift on there.

Dave_Canon
    25 Oct 2010 - 8:27 PM

I have recently bought the XRITE Colour Checker Passport and have used it to develop custom profiles for my EOS 5D2 and now get good consistency with a friends Nikon D300 as he has also developed a custom profile. This is, of course for visible light and over the top for an amateur but has value for professionals like Damien.

However, it was from doing this that I discovered the IR section in the DNG Profile Editor. Looking at Damiens Blog he frequently mentions that you are limited to JPEG because you cannot get a correct white balance in LR or PS because of the 2k limit. However, I noticed an entry only one month ago where he has become aware of the correction provided by the DNG Profile Editor. Damien also provides his Action for colour IR to download which I did. It is much more comprehensive than my Action as he includes a blur effect and noise. However, after playing with this with and without the correction profile, I am not convinced that he is right that you must have the WB completely neutral. However, I do like the effect of his action on some of my pics. I think I will develop my own Action further (pinching some of his ideas) but biasing towards the effect that I want. I think that you can then create your own style which will be slightly different to others.

It is interesting that he has found that the Canon 16-35mm is poor for IR as this was a lens I considered buying. However, My Canon 10-22mm and 24-105mm are both excellent for IR whereas the Sigma 12-24 is unusable. Thanks for drawing my attention to Dameins Blog.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.