Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Close-up Filters

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

23 Jan 2013 8:17PM
If you, like me, are short on dough but want better magnification from your lenses, you should give close-up filters a try. I was after buying a macro lens but in the end decided to postpone buying an 800 lens, and instead opted for these cheap filters. I just acquired this set of four Polaroid Close-up filters, in 58mm size, and they seem to do the job of magnifying the image pretty effectively. They do render the lens useless aside of macro shooting, but if macro's what you're after, slapping these filters on and shooting better close-ups is easy and cheap!

I bought my set from Amazon.de and though the delivery took long, the end result was worth my wait. I'll update this post with some sample pictures at a later stage. This would also improve my review therefore, but so far, I think they're good enough for the money you pay (which is around 20 Euro, btw).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sparrowhawk e2
6 268 2 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 10:44PM
i have one too a +4 which is very good the only thing is do not try cropping the photo as it will degrade the image
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
23 Jan 2013 10:59PM

Quote:I was after buying a macro lens but in the end decided to postpone buying an 800 lens

If funds are a little low then just be aware that you certainly don't need to spend anywhere near 800 for a macro lens. Something like a Tamron 90mm macro lens will give outstanding quality results and will be every bit as good as a lens costing 800. A secondhand one is likely to be under 200. I just thought I'd mention it because although you often get what you pay for with regards photographic equipment, macro lenses are one area where you needn't buy the latest and greatest in order to get top quality results.
25 Jan 2013 5:31PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I might look into it in the future given that in four months time I'll have wedding expenses to contend with, and photography stuff will definitely have to take second seat lol!

Smile
JawDborn e2
2 795 1 England
25 Jan 2013 9:31PM
Have you tried a reversing ring, Alistair? One must be careful not to damage the lens when using it, but they are cheap and can give good results.

I have a Tamron SP90 which is an excellent lens. The more expensive lens I bought has terrific image stabilisation so useful for field work. I bought a cheap ring flash for the Tamron, well worth it for macro in the field.

Cheers,

Jack
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Jan 2013 10:59PM
Another option is a set of basic extension tubes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.