Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ND Filter - Which one to buy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Steffen1209
    16 Dec 2011 - 4:41 PM

I am looking to invest into a ND filter, but I'm not sure which one to go for. Ideally I would like to have one as dark as possible and it should only cost pennies (that goes without saying really). The filter is to be used primarily with my wide-angle lens, but could be useful for other lenses as well, provided I can attach the filter with some sort of adapter ring. Now my questions. Should I go for a round filter, maybe the cheaper option, or with a filter system like the Lee Filter Holder Foundation Kit? Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Dec 2011 - 4:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

McClicker
    McClicker  2 England
    18 Dec 2011 - 5:30 PM

Hello Steffen. i have also been looking for a ND filter, i was speaking to David & recommended trying one of these. i have not got one yet (after xmas).

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=0&man=0&filte...

Hope this helps.

Steffen1209
    18 Dec 2011 - 6:20 PM

Hi Alan, I've tried Davids filter in the Lakes, unfortunately the variable NDs are not very good for ultra wide angle lenses as they leave some weird cross across the picture.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2011 - 10:39 AM

For landscapes:
    A cokin P series would be a reasonable start, the holders are cheap and the filters readily availble.
    The Lee filters are way expensive and hard to get hold of.
    There are other 100mm filter brands and you can cut cokin holder up and reglue them at 100mm width.

Would you want pure one shade ND filters or graduated filters to adjust for sky and land?
    Hard transition filters are often recommended for aps-c filters and soft transition for FF where the horizon is broken by unevean objects.

For sunrise/sunset shots a reverse grad is sometimes used - the main shaded area is at the transition boundary.

For Long exposures - Big Stopper:
    The screw in ones will stop light entering around the lens - i.e. in the slide in filter area.
    I have one from a company i think is called light works.

Steffen1209
    19 Dec 2011 - 12:46 PM

Graduated NDs are a bonus, no doubt. I heard about the light leakage problems with non screw on filters, but it's apparently only a problem when taking very long exposures. So I guess that all things considered I'd be better off buying the 'Filter Holder Foundation Kit' and then add filters as and when needed? It certainly makes more sense in the long run. Hm...

Steffen1209
    19 Dec 2011 - 4:59 PM

Does anyone know this 'Bellow' type filder holder he's using in the video?

click for video

McClicker
    McClicker  2 England
    20 Dec 2011 - 2:51 AM

He could have showed the finished picture in the video.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2011 - 8:53 AM

I don't know if these are the same bellows but maybe - http://www.srb-griturn.com/lee-filters-bellows-hoods-469-c.asp

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.