Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Feedback required on an image - comparison

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11501 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 11:47 AM

Right, now that I've finally figured out my a*se from my elbow and how to upload an image to a forum thread instead of a photo comment thread ... Grin ... I would be glad of some feedback on an image that I uploaded to the group's photos section. Basically - how could I have done it differently? Is the crop too severe? Could I have adjusted the tones/contrast better to produce a punchier/softer/more pleasing image.

Here's the original image:

i-see-you-original.jpg

And here's the B&W version that I did and uploaded:

i-see-you-ii.jpg

Many thanks
    Tanya

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jul 2012 - 11:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56333 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 12:11 PM

The contrast between right and left is quite high to be a balanced image. I would try a reflector off to the left to soften some of the shadow - but maybe dodging in the left side a bit to lighten the shadow.
    Focus is good. The top one looks a bit tight, or not tight enough. I know there are recommendations in portrait photography about cutting off at knees and elbows, I wonder if there is similar advice regards animal's ears?
    The bottom image is better IMO, the space in the bottom right is 'empty' and distracting, and maybe a bit more space to the left as you seem to have cut off the corner of the eye and its eyebrow.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122246 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 12:19 PM

I had a playaround, first in Lightroom then in Topaz B&W. I think I prefer the original to the crop. What do you think?

i-see-you-original-edit.jpg

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53587 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 12:21 PM

I too had a go at recropping less tightly in Picassa, i was thinking of rule of thirds.
    1-cat-i-see-you-original.jpg

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 24 Jul 2012 - 12:22 PM
    TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11501 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 1:01 PM

Oh wow!!

Mikehit - that's really useful feedback about the left hand side being unbalanced ... I hadn't even noticed that. I also agree about the space on the right being a bit distracting, but as I'd cropped quite close on the left hand side, I think I was trying to balance it up a bit, but obviously in the wrong way! As you say, if I'd allowed a bit extra space on the left, and cropped so that the edge of the eye wasn't cut off it would definitely make it better. (I'm still getting to grips with dodging and burning, but will definitely give it a go - I doubt he'd sit still long enough to use a reflector.)

Malcolm and Jack ... excellent mods, thank you! At first I thought that your mod, Malcom, was too harsh, but the more I look at it the more it appeals to me. I like the tighter crop of your mod Jack, and the way you've processed it makes him look the way a mouse would probably see him, right before that "Oh no, cat ...!!" moment Grin

I still think I prefer the cropped image (just cropped not quite so tightly, as Mike points out above) but thank you so much for having a go at redoing it. It's amazing how differently we all see things, and always educational to see how others would process an image.

Tanya

User_Removed
    24 Jul 2012 - 10:08 PM

It all goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat! (groan)

I like Stuart's crop but, looking at the original, one of the most striking features is the colour of the cat's eyes.

I know it's not strictly mono - but I wonder how a mono conversion leaving the single colour in the eyes would work?

TanyaH
    25 Jul 2012 - 11:48 AM

I did think about that LefForum, but was trying to be strictly 'mono' and wasn't sure if leaving a slight hint of colour in the eyes would pass muster or not! Smile Still, definitely another thing to try when I get round to reprocessing it.

bigalguitarpicker
    26 Jul 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'm not so sure about the focus. The OOF nose seems like a bit of a distraction to me?

TanyaH
    26 Jul 2012 - 10:22 AM

I know what you mean about the nose being a distraction, but at an aperture of f/1.8 it was an either/or decision! Grin It's all a learning curve and I'm still discovering how to manipulate the 'exposure triangle' to suit the subject and getting the image I want Smile

bigalguitarpicker
    27 Jul 2012 - 11:36 AM

I know what you mean TanyaH. I like using my Nikkor 50mmF1.8 and this is something which happened me too. A wee bit wider on the aperture will reduce foreground blur.
    Alex.

TanyaH
    27 Jul 2012 - 2:04 PM

I did try a wider aperture on a couple, but the light wasn't great and even with the ISO kicked up a bit it was still giving me quite low shutter speeds for hand holding (and lets just say I don't have a rock-steady hand holding technique at the best of times ... probably all the coffee!).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.