Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Frames / borders

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
chavender
chavender e2 Member 3213 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2012 - 1:15 PM

Whats your opinion on putting a border / frame on an upload?
I would be interested in opinions, preferences and reasons.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jul 2012 - 1:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
22 Jul 2012 - 1:23 PM

I used to do it but when I joined here I got a couple of people reviewing my pics who said they didn't like borders & there are others who moan about watermarks too. I don't mind either but one thing to keep in mind, if you are printing or selling your photos, your border might look wrong in a frame or album. Stu.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114508 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2012 - 1:29 PM

Sometimes they can set an image off and give it a little more impact, sometimes I do it sometimes I don't. I must admit to not being a lover of watermarks, they really can spoil an image IMHO. I quite often have a laugh at the folk who insist on putting watermarks on what are quite obviously seriously flawed images and ask myself why????

Ade

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122239 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2012 - 1:31 PM

A border can work on certain images, but mostly I don't like them because often they don't seem to add anything. I really don't see the point of watermarks.

Last Modified By Gaucho at 22 Jul 2012 - 1:37 PM
Jestertheclown
22 Jul 2012 - 2:08 PM

I'm not keen on frames or borders and as far as logos/watermarks go, I consider it to be entirely the choice of the individual as to whether they use one or not.
Done subtly, they shouldn't be a distraction although reading comments posted by some people in the CG, you'd be forgiven for thinking that adding one was the photographic crime of the century.
With regard to people applying them to 'obviously seriously flawed images,' I don't suppose the owners of those images consider them to be seriously flawed and they include their logos because they can and they want to.
As for their being no point, we all know how easily they can be removed, always assuming that you know that they're there in the first place, of course; which just brings us back to the age old argument that anything that you post on the internet is 'fair game' and you might just as well write it off as soon as you've posted it.

franken
franken e2 Member 113106 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2012 - 2:30 PM

Quote: Whats your opinion on putting a border / frame on an upload?
I would be interested in opinions, preferences and reasons.

Bill

If it works for the individual concerned that all that matters really.

Last Modified By franken at 22 Jul 2012 - 2:33 PM
User_Removed
22 Jul 2012 - 2:34 PM

I'm pretty much the same as Jester above.

Very, very occasionally I use one as part of the overall image but never if it is going into a competition or exhibition after I got massacred by a judge for this one:

1-one-for-the-pot-113.jpg

Sad

Jestertheclown
22 Jul 2012 - 2:35 PM

Quote: If it works for the individual concerned that all that matters really.

Yep.

One other thing re. borders, particularly re. thick ones; the border is taking up some of the already limited area that you're able to use for your image.

Jestertheclown
22 Jul 2012 - 2:38 PM

Quote: I got massacred by a judge for this one:

That particular image, LF, is one of the very few occasions when I think that a border, well that one in particular, actually adds something.

Newdevonian
22 Jul 2012 - 2:48 PM

[quote] I got massacred by a judge for this one:

Sounds like the type of judge who liked the sound of his own voice, and who confused personal preferences with good taste. I like your border in that application!

TanyaH
TanyaH e2 Member 11498 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 2:40 PM

Quote: ... I got massacred by a judge for this one Sad

I'd have offered to do to the judge what the woman's doing to the rabbit ... they might have reconsidered? Grin Personally, I'm never with borders - sometimes they add something, sometimes they don't. I've been guilty of adding some horrendous borders in my time (see here as a prime example!). But now I'm of the opinion that a small, discreet border helps to contain the contents of the image. There was a classic example in the general gallery earlier of a grass, and as the poster was (presumably) an e2 member it showed up on the black background. However, as the background in the image itself was black, and it had no border to define the image itself, it looked like a very long, black image with a grass in the middle of it. Effective, maybe, but I don't think it was what the poster intended!

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 3:38 PM

Quote: There was a classic example in the general gallery earlier of a grass, and as the poster was (presumably) an e2 member it showed up on the black background. However, as the background in the image itself was black, and it had no border to define the image itself, it looked like a very long, black image with a grass in the middle of it.

It would have been lovely if you had said that on the shot! Smile

'The Poster' actually mentioned in the description that she wasn't sure if a black background was suitable and if it needed a frame. As of now, she's only had one comment and no-one has given an opinion of a frame!

Last Modified By KarenFB at 23 Jul 2012 - 3:41 PM
TanyaH
TanyaH e2 Member 11498 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 4:50 PM

Ah pants, it was yours wasn't it?! *embarrassed smiley* ... Really, really sorry for not leaving that thought as a comment on your image ... and also for referring to you as 'the poster'. Suppose it was one of those times when, having not had any kind of interaction with you before this, I was trying to be polite and not presumptious by just casually using your name ... once again, apologies and I'll go and make amends! Smile

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2012 - 6:02 PM

Lol!! No apologies needed! Wink

Thanks for visiting and putting your opinion forward. I know there are some who don't like negative comments, I'm not one of them! Any attention is good attention! Grin

TanyaH
24 Jul 2012 - 11:10 AM

Karen - thanks for not being offended. I'm sometimes guilty of not always thinking before engaging the fingers on the keyboard, and as I can type pretty quickly the fingers are often way ahead of the brain process!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.