Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mono processing for screen and print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chavender
    chavender e2 Member 3209 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 11:27 AM

Would appreciate views on processing Mono images for print or screen.
    Apart from resolution and maybe sharpening, do you process images differently depending on the intended display medium?

Bill

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Aug 2012 - 11:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 11:42 AM

I use Lightroom + Silver Effex that gives infinite results in monochrome.
    With Lightroom alone there are endless possibities that go well beyond a simple conversion.

chavender
    chavender e2 Member 3209 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 11:48 AM

Same here Ken.
    I agree that they are two great pieces of software .
    do you process images differently depending on the intended display medium?

Bill

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bill,

I think part of the issue is that a degree of experimentation will always to some extent be needed.

For example, I might be tempted to rework an image for a particular type of paper. Usually, I stick to the same paper and so don't bother.

In regards to the screen versus print - no I don't usually do anything other than the very specific system I have for sharpening and resizing. On occasions I find I may need to tweak the resulting 1000px image a little in terms of contrast, but thats it.

Regards,

Adam

User_Removed
    20 Aug 2012 - 2:24 PM

Bill,

I suspect your question might have been prompted by a discussion we had about one of the images I posted on the group gallery. Basically, you suggested that it lacked punch and I agreed, explaining that, when printed as a large print it had plenty of punch but that it definitely suffered when viewed on a computer screen.

I normally process for print as my photographs are usually produced for competitions or for wall-hanging. But, of course, prints and computer monitors are fundamentally different ways of viewing an image, not least because the print is viewed by means of reflected light. I think there is a case for processing differently if an image (maybe especially a mono image) is intended for viewing on a screen.

To illustrate this experimentally,

Here is the image in question as originally posted to the gallery. as I say, it is the version processed with a view to printing:

yose3.jpg

I have now re-processed it in an attempt to make the digital image as "punchy" as the large-scale print appears. I am not sure that I have got there fully - maybe it is simply impossible - but this is my first attempt:

yose99.jpg

Basically, I did not take it back into HDR Efex or Silver Efex, but simply used Lightroom 4.1 controls to deepen the blacks, lighten the whites, replace some of the grunge I had removed from the river surface and pulled a slight ND grad down from the top.

Possibly this does work better for a screen-viewed image, but it would look horribly "overcooked" I think if it was printed from this version.

chavender
    20 Aug 2012 - 2:48 PM

Hi LF
    You are correct re the prompt.
    It occurred to me that this may be the answer as to why there is a difference between my images viewed on screen and my printed images.
    Not just the brightness or contrast or even colour cast but in the "Quality".

Not something I am able to qualify at the moment but there is a difference.
    Whether it`s down to the paper choice or the processing I am unsure.

I will try some different processing techniques and papers now I can get custom profiles.

Thanks LF for sparking off a new line of discovery/experimentation.

Bill

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 3:44 PM

Quote: Would appreciate views on processing Mono images for print or screen.
    Apart from resolution and maybe sharpening, do you process images differently depending on the intended display medium?

Bill

no I always process with the print in mind.

I do sometimes get a bit of "crunching" of the dark tones when uploading to te web, caused by compression, changing to sRGB etc

When printing the paper has an enormous effect

capto
    capto e2 Member 2943 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 6:42 PM

I find that when processing for print a lighter touch when making adjustments is usually the way to go. I often only gently sharpen key areas. Processing for screen often needs a more agressive touch to convey the required mood. But as always every image is different.

chavender
    21 Aug 2012 - 2:29 PM

Thanks all
    Now that I have some custom printer profiles loaded I can try a few variations.

Bill

Last Modified By chavender at 21 Aug 2012 - 2:30 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.