Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Viewing mono images in camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
chavender
chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 7:37 AM

Just been reading a book on digital mono photography where the author advises shooting RAW and then viewing in mono in camera in order to visualise tonal balance etc.
This seems to me to be a sensible, useful idea (apologies if old hat and obvious)
After giving it a try I found it a useful process to use if I am unsure whether or not an image will work in mono.
Of course as you are shooting in RAW the camera only displays a mono JPEG so the original RAW image stays intact.
Bill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Sep 2012 - 7:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 8:04 AM

I used to do this Bill (well I did a quick in camera conversion), but I don't bother now for 2 reasons. The in camera conversion doesn't always show the potential of every image as it just desaturates the image, the second reason is I now tend to know when I'm shooting what will look good in mono.

I do have a few mono presets set in Lightroom, I will quickly scroll through these. That I find more usefull, as I can gauge what method/colour channels I will use when I do the full conversion.

But if you have problems visualising it setting to mono in camera for the view isn't a bad idea ( obviously record in RAW).

Last Modified By Nick_w at 10 Sep 2012 - 8:06 AM
wynn469
wynn469  572 forum posts Wales
10 Sep 2012 - 3:39 PM

I should think it depends very much on the quality of the screen on the camera and in bright daylight some can be difficult to view the tonal range.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 3:54 PM

Should you become serious about Black & White then you will know before the shot if it works Wink
I imagine it would help somewhat although such a small screen would be limited in an evaluation of tones.
Ok for shapes

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 3:57 PM

Quote: I don't bother now for 2 reasons. The in camera conversion doesn't always show the potential of every image as it just desaturates the image, the second reason is I now tend to know when I'm shooting what will look good in mono.

Quite agree Nick.

Normally I don`t have too many problems visualising in mono but I am at the moment trying to adopt a different way of "seeing" mono and find that it`s a useful technique if it`s not clear to me if it will work or not.
After trying it I thought it may be useful to others as well.

Quote: I should think it depends very much on the quality of the screen on the camera and in bright daylight some can be difficult to view the tonal range.

Also agree Wynn, a lot depends on the camera and Ambient light.

Bill

redhed17
redhed17  8652 forum posts England
10 Sep 2012 - 10:54 PM

It's a good idea. Smile

I advise anyone who has an interest in B&W, and shoots in the RAW format to consider doing it if it helps them.

DaveTurner
6 Nov 2012 - 5:17 PM

That was the advise I was given but I found I could adjust the tones easily when processing so I normally look for composition now.

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 6:29 PM

Have to say it's never occurred to me to do this, not sure if I can with my camera anyway! Just kind of know whether or not it's going to be a black and white moment anyway Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315185 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 6:42 PM

Shoot using Jpeg + Raw with Jpegs set to one of your B&w settings.

Works well with my x10, loads of setting as well, B&W with yellow filter, B&W with red filter etc.

KathyW
6 Nov 2012 - 6:49 PM

Er... that sounds a bit complicated Paul... Just had a quick look and can't see anything that looks like a B&W option.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315185 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 6:51 PM

With what camera Cathy.

KathyW
6 Nov 2012 - 7:05 PM

Canon 5dmk2. I've only ever used it set to RAW, maybe it has to be set to jpeg to see all the options? After a rather embarrassing incident with a young man at a camera repair shop who suggested I read the user manual, particularly the part referring to custom function blah blah, I have tended to leave well alone! Tongue

Paul Morgan
6 Nov 2012 - 7:14 PM

I`m not familiar with dslr settings, but I quite like the film simulation modes built into my x10.

Provia, Astia, Velvia
Black and white
And Monochrome with three settings, with yellow, green or red filter.

KathyW
6 Nov 2012 - 7:25 PM

I can see that would be handy Smile but presumably that would only affect the jpeg file, not the RAW?

Paul Morgan
6 Nov 2012 - 7:43 PM

I think this is what most of us would want, you can still apply these effects to raws later on, or process the raw images in camera.

Here`s a bit about it, they talk about the x100, but this also applies to all other camera`s in the x range.

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2012/6/7/fuji-x100-monochrome.html

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.