Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New feature idea

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318441 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2010 - 3:26 PM

I had an idea...wouldn't it be good if we could post classic photos on ePHOTOzine and then have a debate about them?

I started making contact with people like Magnum and got an initial cold response, but after a bit of work I've got a few helpful people to allow me to use pictures in this section.

The idea is I'll dig out one photo each week and post it into the gallery here. You can then discuss the photo. I've started off with a World Press Photo winner and will hopefully move on to classics from the past, as well as winners from other major competitions.

I hope you join the group and discuss the first photo.

The more get involved the better a resource it will be. In hope you grasp the concept and run with it Smile

To see the photo click the Photos tab above this box. Or click this link Hunting Kingfisher

Last Modified By Pete at 21 Jul 2010 - 3:32 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2010 - 3:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2010 - 7:52 PM

I like this idea, it made me join an EPZ group for the first time!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318441 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2010 - 1:53 PM

Glad you like it Conrad...hopefully it will be successful and I can then commit time to sourcing photos

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2010 - 2:00 PM

Must admit that many of the Magnum photos I've seen are, on the surface, not that interesting - just look like random snaps.

Then if you look a bit longer, you start to see the more and more, especially connections between people and things - well in some anyway.

So a thread like you're suggesting would be interesting - a bit like somone explaining what the hell Shakespeare's wierd words actually mean Wink

Pete
26 Jul 2010 - 1:40 PM

Thanks for your comments on the first shot in this new feature. That certainly worked as a debate. I've posted the second picture up now...this time a classic documentary photograph - Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother. I hope you find time to join and comment.

Last Modified By Pete at 26 Jul 2010 - 1:41 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2010 - 2:51 PM

I remember the impact that this made on me the first time I saw it, its very powerful emotionally and also tells the story of the time ,showing the stress (anguish) associated with moving a young family into a new environment.

I don't think it would work as well in colour?

Not a genre of photography I have any skill in but I admire those who can create this type of narrative work

clicknimagine
27 Jul 2010 - 8:05 PM

excellent idea, i have now discovered this forum thread, i hope more members should join here, i will be very much active from tomorrow, and i am trying to find the features of this group first...

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2010 - 8:52 PM

Great idea, Pete! I've already attempted a short summary of 'Migrant Mother'...

clicknimagine
28 Jul 2010 - 8:12 AM

Please provide more images, may be one per day, it is going to be very interesting, if possible you can also pick one every day from the EPZ gallery...

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 8:26 AM

Quote: Please provide more images, may be one per day, it is going to be very interesting, if possible you can also pick one every day from the EPZ gallery...

I like the idea of posting something current with a similar feel so that we can compare

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 11:17 AM

i like this idea but where ive seen similar, the tendency is for people to comment on the image and not interact with each other in discussion which is the bit that would make this really worthwhile.

it would be excellent if one was generated at random (from a selection ticked in acceptance of the author) in the way the featured e2 is and that be the subject of discussion or maybe, and this would be even more interesting, - from the highest click count image of the day.

Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 28 Jul 2010 - 11:21 AM
Pete
28 Jul 2010 - 11:18 AM

Quote: Please provide more images, may be one per day

I'd prefer to keep it to one per week then we may get more interactivity and it becomes a better feature.

Dave B
Dave B  11113 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jul 2010 - 1:24 PM

Great idea for a group Pete .... no hesitation in joining & look forward to some interesting discussion Smile

Dave B

Pete
29 Jul 2010 - 7:41 PM

Thanks Dave is that Marty Feldman as your avatar? It's a long time since I've seen his face.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2010 - 10:57 PM

Excellent Pete, already joined this group.

If you get the chance Pete, check out the work of Lee Miller from fashion model to fashion photographer to war photographer.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 29 Jul 2010 - 10:59 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.