Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Print out of PS doesn't match profiled screen

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2010 - 6:28 PM

This is quite an old chestnut, but bothering me still. I have my screen profiled, I have a printer/paper profile (and I use this when I print out of PS, giving full control to PS. I preview my profile in Photoshop and I even go to the lengths of converting to sRGB sometimes, to try to deal with out of gamut colours. But still, sometimes (but not always) the colours are a bit off comparing prints and screen, and always (I use a Mac) the screen is lighter than the print - not just because the screen is light based, but because the dark areas on the screen have more detail than on a print. What more can I do to ensure that I don't waste paper?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2010 - 6:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2010 - 7:12 PM

What calibration device & software are you using....?

What printer make & model ? Are you using the makers genuine inks & papers....?

What is your " Gamma " setting....?

I'm not saying the answers to any of the above will cure the issue, But they might throw up some suggestions.

Or at least point in a particular direction.....Wink

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 7:30 PM

Umm. Using an Eye-one match, Epson 2400 with genuine ink - paper is very good quality 3rd party with a profile and the gamma is what is recommended for my Mac screen. Have also been noticing pics on this site look better in PS5 than in Firefox (and others have too) - and I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks for your interest.

Jestertheclown
28 Aug 2010 - 8:12 PM

Quote: Have also been noticing pics on this site look better in PS5 than in Firefox (and others have too) -

I've seen quite a difference between what I'm seeing on here in CS5 and what I'm seeing when the images are uploaded.
It was particularly evident with an image of a kestrel which I put up in the "tell it" group which turned out to be more than a little bit bit different. I've also found that there's enough of a shift to make it tricky when I upload a mod. in the critique gallery.
I've had one or two where I'll say I've done something yet it looks as if I'm making it up!
As for printing, I've given up on letting PS deal with it as they always come out too dark. I find that Windows own printing wizard and the printer's profile do a better job.

Jester.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 8:17 PM

What devices are you using to calibrate the screen? And what is the max colour space of your monitor?

Jestertheclown
28 Aug 2010 - 8:28 PM

I don't have a calibrated screen and I've no idea of the colour space on my monitor!
When I want to print something, I know from experience how I need it to look on the monitor for it to look OK on paper, if that makes any sense.
As for uploading to Epz. I've found that "saving for the web" does a pretty good job for images of my own that I want to put in a gallery. I think Vince suggested that.
The biggest difference comes with uploaded mods. I can upload one, only to find it looks different to the way I'd intended, yet if I download it (my own mod.) and re-open it in CS5, it looks OK again.
It has to be to do with the way that they're displayed in CS5 being different to the way they're displayed on the web.
(I suppose I'm stating the obvious there, aren't I . . .? !)

Jester.

BarrieNeilPhotography

First thing I must say is if you don't have a calibrated monitor then if an image appears on the web or in print exactly as it does on screen, then it is a lucky accident, nothing more.

You calibrate your monitor so that images appear the way you intend them to be, safe in the knowledge that when a given image is saved, it will look correct in any other monitor that is also calibrated. That is the theory Smile

Of course, they may well be some variance because of the accuracy of any persons eyes but without a calibrated work flow, any colour accuracy is luck rather than design.

Having calibrated your monitor and ensured your graphics card is using the monitor profile as the system default, you need to set Photoshop (or whatever) so that you are editing your image in the Adobe Colourspace. The printer needs to be using the profile appropriate for the paper/ink combination in use.

Therefore there are three crucial components to a properly calibrated post-camera system.. monitor profile, editing software colourspace and printer profile

How you set these depends upon the precise software (and version of the software) you are using to edit and/or print

Barrie Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 28 Aug 2010 - 8:40 PM
Jestertheclown
28 Aug 2010 - 8:58 PM

Quote: First thing I must say is if you don't have a calibrated monitor then if an image appears on the web or in print exactly as it does on screen, then it is a lucky accident, nothing more.

Agreed Barry,

I'm happy with the way my prints turn out but as I say, I have my own way of getting them that way although of course, it is the wrong way!

I don't think the diference between mods. in CS5 and in Epz. though can be to do with a calibrated (or otherwise) monitor though because I'm seeing them on the same one. They only look different when they're coming from different sources.

I shall probably find a workaround for that too!

Jester.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Understand what you are saying but you are in fact seeing them differently.

What you see on the web is a view of the image with a compressed colour gamut compared to that you will see in CS5. Photoshop CS5 will interpret the embedded colourspace of the image you are editing (if it has one) and then convert that based on your monitor calibration profile (or default profile if you don't have a specific one you have created).

Therefore what you see in Photoshop and what you see on the web can be very different especially if your monitor is not calibrated.

A lot of people have a lot of difficulty getting their head round this one but if you were sitting in front of a screen, it is quite easy to demonstrate.

One last thing, if you are using Firefox as your web browser, don't forget to switch colour management on - it makes a big difference. If you haven't done it yest, this quick reference gives you the low down (link) Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 28 Aug 2010 - 9:13 PM
Jestertheclown
28 Aug 2010 - 9:54 PM

Hi Barry,

I do understand! You're making perfect sense.

I've already got Firefox's colour management add-on installed. That link, whilst interesting is a bit old and I simply installed it from their add-on pages. I think I was given a link via the critique gallery.
When I look at the ad-on and open the "options" box, there's an option to install the colour profile of your choice. If you leave the box blank, Firefox defaults to sRGB so that's what I'm using.
Could I do better? Or would I be opening a can of worms that might be best left alone, bearing in mind that I'm not really suffering any major headaches over this?

Jester.

BarrieNeilPhotography

I'd leave it as sRGB if I were you as this is what the vast majority of monitors understand Grin

Jestertheclown
28 Aug 2010 - 10:15 PM

My thoughts exactly Barry.

Thanks for your help though.
Now I know that my mods. do change and the reason why.
I'm not going mad after all!

Jester.

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2010 - 8:02 AM

Quote: and always (I use a Mac) the screen is lighter than the print

Well the answer to this is lower the brightness of your screen until it matches the prints.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2010 - 8:29 AM

Quote: Well the answer to this is lower the brightness of your screen until it matches the prints.

Shouldn't calibration sort all that out though ?

justin c
justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2010 - 11:02 AM

Quote: Shouldn't calibration sort all that out though ?

Not if you've set the target luminance too high, i.e you might have calibrated it to 120, when in fact 90 or 100 would give a better screen to print match.

Last Modified By justin c at 29 Aug 2010 - 11:03 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.