Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Remote Cameras at sporting events

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2010 7:09PM
New Topic for the Sports Group

How many of you use remote cameras at sporting events, and how do you set them up - focus at the hyperfocal distance and use a remote release of some type?

I'm toying with investing in a pocket wizard transmitter and receiver, and a Canon 15mm fisheye for remote use. Does anyone have any tips for setting up this configuration?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 1.4k England
26 Aug 2010 10:42AM
Get the pocket wizards, you will love them.

Generally I don't use a fisheye for remote shots, I stick to rectilinear but anything under 50mm will suffice.

Normaly I have a remote camera set up on the water ramps where being there yourself during a riders trick will get you wet/in the way.
I would highly recomend a peice of 2 inch wide velcro with a 3/4mm screw and plate punched through it - instant ablity to stick your camera/pocketwizard + flash onto any scaffholding or edge.

Remote lighting I find to be much "nicer". But obviously if you can't be in the spot a remote camera is a needs-be.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 5:19PM
I generally use a 16-35mm for the remote camera behind the goal at footie. I tend to focus between the goal line and the 6 yard line and set about f5.6 to give a bit of DOF while keeping shutter speed up.
Manual everything, under floodlights then exposure is a cinch as it is constant but if the weather is changeable watch out for your exposure, maybe set it in av and dial in a bit of compensation to account for the sky.

Pocketwizards and a little table top tripod complete the setup.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.