Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fuji X10 group

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64439 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2012 - 8:11 PM

I know the Fuji menu layout as I've had compacts in the past so that's not a worry. And it does feel like a proper camera and has a viewfinder.
I tinkered with the X100 - what a beauty - but at over a grand and with a couple of little foibles I think I'll pass on that. Shame. But there's no such thing as a perfect camera and seeing as my OH has filched my S100 and is getting stuck into RAW and stuff I'd better get myself a backup. Smile

Thanks for the tip about batteries Ewan. I always buy a spare. It seems to me the smaller cameras use tons more juice. My S100 is really heavy on battery which surprised me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Nov 2012 - 8:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64439 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2012 - 10:17 PM

PS: Have there been any firmware updates for the X10? I read there were some problems with flare or something but I don't suspect that's a problem for me. Just wondered.
x

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2012 - 10:40 PM

yep - looks like there's been another since I did my update - shall have to investigate tomorrow - Here is more info

Then again - it looks like I'm already on V2.0 - lost track of what I'm doing around here Smile

Last Modified By cattyal at 27 Nov 2012 - 10:43 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 3:21 AM

Quote: PS: Have there been any firmware updates for the X10? I read there were some problems with flare or something but I don't suspect that's a problem for me. Just wondered

There`s been several firmware updates Chris, none of them really addressed the blooming issue, it was really a whole lot of hot water over nothing, just a small number of substandard sensors made it as far as the production line.
There was never a brand new sensor, faulty units were simply replaced with a new sensor and recalibrated, all of the later units for sale should be just fine.

I don`t know why some people think battery life is so poor, there good for two or three hundred shots, spare batteries are cheap and easy to find.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 5:53 AM

I read about the flare issue and when I got my X-10 I actually tried to re-create the problem (just in case I wanted to return the camera) and couldn't. Instead I have been delighted by the performance of lens and sensor.

On battery life I agree with Paul - it's absolutely fine. My only criticism is that you don't get much warning that you are about to lose power. Don't go out thinking you've got lots of life left in the battery just because the indicator shows 3 bars. 20 shots later and you can be out of juice. As Paul also says spares are dead cheap and readily available.

SlowSong
28 Nov 2012 - 9:26 AM

OK. Thanks folks. And thanks for the link Alison.
x

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 3:23 PM

Have you looked at the new Olympus XZ-2 Chris, it has a x4 zoom and close focusing macro like the x10, but it also shares a lot of the features of the OMD, like the tilting touch screen, wireless flash control and it takes the same evf viewfinders and so on.

SlowSong
28 Nov 2012 - 3:43 PM

Thanks for the tip Paul but it's still an Olympus with poop for a menu, I don't need wireless flash, there's no viewfinder and it's 100 dearer than the X10.
Are you trying to put me off the Fuji now? Grin

BTW, CameraWorld have got an offer of a case and 8GB card for 49, with the camera at 319. Is the LC-X10 case the one you've got, and if so is it worth having?

Last Modified By SlowSong at 28 Nov 2012 - 3:45 PM
Paul Morgan
28 Nov 2012 - 4:21 PM

The cases are Ok but I find them a bit of a pain, not good if you need to change a battery or want the memory card.

I can think of worse menu systems, any I currently don`t use Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Nov 2012 - 4:24 PM
SlowSong
28 Nov 2012 - 6:50 PM

Thanks. Might just get a slip-in case. I don't think I bash my stuff about that much to get a hard case. Don't like them really.
Smile

Paul Morgan
29 Nov 2012 - 12:35 AM

This is all that`s needed Chris, a little bag like this, wish I had thought about it before getting the 70 quid er case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Quality-Canvas-Camera-Bumbag/dp/B0080DF1C6/ref=sr...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 29 Nov 2012 - 12:36 AM
mshepherd
mshepherd  10667 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 - 8:14 PM

I've been away from serious photography for a while and I was thinking of getting a X10 as they are great value with the news/launch of the X20, or should I wait and get a the new X20 at nearly twice the price?

I'm thinking the x10 will serve me well and save some ??? I like the X100 too (which has also dropped in price with the news of the X100s), but want a compact (with a zoom) to compliment my DSLR rather than a prime compact.

Paul Morgan
11 Jan 2013 - 9:38 PM

The x10 is still a good camera and still winning awards, its just the the x20 will be even better, with a new sensor, newer processor, information in the viewfinder, and even better focusing.

The build, design and handling will be identical to the x10, its a real bargain at its current price, the price of the old x100 is pretty good as well, but its focusing is not quite as good as the x10.

If you can afford the x20 get that, the improvements will be worth it, but the x10 is still a good buy if you want to save on cash.

Snapper
Snapper  93752 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2013 - 12:06 AM

Quote: The x10 is still a good camera and still winning awards,......... but the x10 is still a good buy if you want to save on cash.

Wow, and it's nearly 2 years old as well ............ Tongue

And yes, I do own one and I'd suggest that any prospective buyer waits for the new (and hopefully) improved version! Wink

Last Modified By Snapper at 12 Jan 2013 - 12:08 AM
Paul Morgan
12 Jan 2013 - 2:38 AM

Quote: Wow, and it's nearly 2 years old as well

I wish it had been out two years, I got one of the first when it was first released 14 months ago with a three digit serial number Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.