Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Everyone should have a monitor callibrator....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 2:08 PM

If you're ever going to edit a shot before printing or displaying it online, how do you know whether it'll look right on paper or on anohter monitor?

The answer is that you don't. You have no idea. Your monitor could be telling real porkies to you - the one I have at home is incredibly warm and very very bright. When I look at photos on there, most of them look yellow and burned out...

However, when I use my Spyder callibration device, it looks at all the colours and the brighnesses off the monitor for me, works out what is wrong and puts it right - then creates a colour profile for the screen.

This means that when I look at a photo on screen, I know exactly which settings it uses and I know exactly what the shots will look like in print - because I can see it on the screen.

I'm not on comission from Colourvision but just pointing out the reason for getting a calibrator - they could be the best money you ever spend.

I see this every day because the shots that I upload to EPZ look totally different on my un-calibrated work monitor Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Sep 2010 - 2:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ian-Munro
Ian-Munro  6200 forum posts Wales15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 2:39 PM

I agree Ade as my work and home monitors are worlds apart. I have calibrated my monitor a while ago but I understand you have to do it monthly or something. I wish I could afford a spyder of me own Sad

ade_mcfade
16 Sep 2010 - 2:59 PM

To be honest, the difference between one month and the next's callibration is marginal - I do it each month and save a new profile each month, then use the "profile picker" tool to compare them... you'd be pushed to notice the difference!

So just borrowing one to callibrate once is a great step forward

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 4:20 PM

Quote: they could be the best money you ever spend

Absolutely right on the money Ade, I have been advising people for years, That its a complete waste of time walking into a camera shop, Asking for the most expensive one of those pointing vaguely towards the line up of DSLRs.....!

Then asking for a full set of the most expensive lens options, Oh! and while yer there, Bung a copy of that Photoshop programe in the bag, Coz everyone is banging on about how wonderfull it is......!!!

Laugh! Ok so maybe not quite like that, But I do know some who judge everything by the price tag, Even if they don't have a clue what its for or does....Guess you have met them to....Sad All money and no brains, Walk around like the " Harry Enfield " character " Loadsa Money " lol.....Look at my Wad.....Sad

Sorry, Just thought I'd colour things up a tad......Pun intended of course.....Grin

Now where was I, Ah! Yes Monitor/Display calibration......!!!!

What the hell is the point of spending money, Time and effort taking photographs, Just so you stab a guess at what they might look like......Sad Specially when printed....!!!

Its the simple most basic need of anyone who has even the remotest interest in photography,.......Smile

No I don't work for colorvision either, But there is no way I would attempt to process any of my work, Until my luvverly Spyder 3 has done its thing on the display....!!!

Just to add to Ades comment of re-calibrating, I used to do mine once a month, That was when I had big ole CRT things, These days however a half decent LCDTFT will not drift that much if at all, I still do a " Check Cal " once a month or so, But it rarely needs adjusting, So I set the Full Cal reminder for 3 months.

And while we are on this subject, " Not All Monitors/Displays Are Equal " But thats a whole other forum post, Me thinks......Grin

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Sep 2010 - 4:27 PM
ajhollingbery
16 Sep 2010 - 5:26 PM

Trooper says he wishes he could afford a Spyder of his own. I use a Huey - it's a lot cheaper and works very well. See here for details - http://www.pantone.co.uk/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=562&ca=2
I stress that I do not work for, and have no connection with Pantone other than using a Huey calibrator.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 83464 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
16 Sep 2010 - 5:30 PM

Ade....is it easy to do ? ....you've probably guessed that I'm not among the top 1000 brains on EPZ.
For a tenner I can borrow a calibration device from my local camera club but I'm put off by the fact that it may not be as straight foreward as I'd like.
...I struggle with all things technical.....Mike

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 5:32 PM

Ade do these things work on laptops?? Have never used one Sad

Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 5:50 PM

Calibrators work best on higher end screens - lower end ones can have problems with LCD- the biggest being the fact that contrast and brightness change as your viewing angle changes. This won't affect the spyder and its readings, but will affect your vision of the screen.

The other thing to keep in mind (and something that confused me for ages when I first got one) was that many LCD screens will have a brightness control which is in fact a backlight control - the two are very different. If you've only got the one brightness chances are its a backlight control only and this is what you should tell the spyder you have - otherwise you won't be able to calibrate it correctly.

Otherwise they are quite simple to operate and use - higher level ones do offer more features but they don't push them at you (nor do they provide much/any documentation for them; its more of a if you don't know don't ask situation).

**edit darn it now I'm grumpy! TongueGrin

Last Modified By Overread at 16 Sep 2010 - 5:50 PM
ade_mcfade
16 Sep 2010 - 6:08 PM

I am actually calibrating my laptop as I write this on my main monitor.

The Spyder 2 allows you to do all monitors that are hooked up to your system, it also does projectors, though I've not tried that yet. Oh and printers too I think...

Easy... well the first time is a pain, install the software then plug the sensor in. It takes you through a wizard asking lots of questions. I used to always play with my monitor's contrast and brightness settings, but realised that you don't actually need to do that. Just be dumb. Go with the defaults. When it asks if there are settings on the monitor, say no.

It'll then ask you to put the sensor on the screen,then show lots of whites, blacks and all the colours (maybe just RGB actually) - get a coffee at this point. it takes a while.

When it finishes, it'll show you a before and after - I was gobsmacked when I saw it - jesus, I was using a bright, yellowy green screen! the actual screen looked dark, cold and blue... but you get used to it and your prints look as expected, not unusually dark like they used to be

so if you can borrow one locally, do so and do it today. bear with it - it's not the easiest thing ever the first time. I just do it in my sleep now. The sensor just sits on me shelf and is always ready to go

cameracat
16 Sep 2010 - 7:05 PM

@ MikeRC,

Mike why not get one of the guys at the camera club to come around to your gaff and sort it for you.....Smile

Tell the Mrs to have the kettle on and some cake and biscuits on hand....Grin

Or buy him a pint....Wink whatever is easiest.....!!!

If I was up your way, I'd sort it for you, Though I must warn you, I love home made chocolate cake, And Hob Nobs ( usually a packet at a time Smile )

Trust me and as Ade has already said, The difference a calibration can make will make you wonder why on earth you had not done it sooner....!!!!!!!!!

OK, Lets open this up a tad, If Ade does not mind ( not trying to hijack the post honest ).

Is there anyone out there who lives up " MikeRC's " way, That has a monitor/display calibration tool & software, Who is prepared to pop around to Mikes gaff and calibrate his monitor for him.....?????

Best bit, Not for a cash reward, But for a cuppa T and a jammy dodger or 6.......LOL.....Smile

Well is ePHOTOzine not a giant on-line camera club....?

Seriously though, This sort of thing could/might work, Similar to an EPZ meet only less people involved......Wink

Ideas anyone!

User_Removed
16 Sep 2010 - 7:19 PM

Quote: Is there anyone out there who lives up " MikeRC's " way, ...

I don't unfortunately but... if anyone is within a 10-mile radius of Bracknell and would like to be screen-calibrated, I'd be happy to pop over and calibrate their system with my Spyder2 for a pint - or two Wink.

PM me if interested.

(Nice one Ade - and Vince Grin...)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Sep 2010 - 7:20 PM
cameracat
16 Sep 2010 - 7:33 PM

Quote: if anyone is within a 10-mile radius of Bracknell and would like to be screen-calibrated

Nice one Mike, Your a scholar and a gentleman.....Smile

I'd like to add to that, Anyone within a 10-mile radius of Harleston, Norfolk ( IP20-9QU ) gets the same deal.......Grin

Just remember to have chocolate cake and hobb nobs at the ready, Oh! and a nice cuppa T to wash them all down........Wink

Boy can't calibrate on an empty tum tum.....Sad

Vince.

ade_mcfade
16 Sep 2010 - 8:49 PM

If anyone has a laptop they want calibrating, I'll meet them in a boozer in Leeds, calibrate it there whilst having a few ales Wink

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 9:04 PM

Tempting Ade as I am up your way next monthTongue I am also guilty of not calibrating my laptop; I have just been moving my screen so that I can see EPZ's 16 shades! I am feeling very bad. Wink

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 9:05 PM

Meet him in the Duncan - wear a Man Utd top so that he recognises you.
Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.