Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Out of your comfort zone to progress

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53531 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2010 - 1:57 PM

And it did Paul - i felt great about it afterwards - best shooting day for ages.

In the comfort zone thing again, i've just created some ePz albums (ePz member only get to do more than 1) and it shows that some albulms have lots of things i quite like, whilst others are quite empty, and still others are not yet created.
Is there a master list of say 10 typical photography genres's we should all try if we want some variation?
I'm thinking
Macro, Still Life, People, landscape etc.....
I'd then create the albums then try and fill them this year.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Sep 2010 - 1:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2010 - 2:47 PM

Quote: I was listening to some article or other on the radio a few months ago

Now what did I say about listening to Womans hour Ade? You should know they keep going on about the same subject's just altering the slant a bit (or so I'm told). Wink Tongue

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2010 - 3:47 PM

Women's hour is quite funny it has to be said Wink

Never seen "Man's" hour though...

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2010 - 6:50 PM

Quote: Never seen "Man's" hour though...

.... Radio Five Sunday Evening Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314907 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2010 - 7:22 PM

Quote: Women's hour is quite funny it has to be said

So are there mags Smile

javam
javam e2 Member 91083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2010 - 7:52 PM

I have been trying a few things outside of my normal zone of airshows and landscapes lately. A 12" reflector purchase and 2 short trips to my local woods have resulted in my last five shroom uploads which I am fairly happy with. I have tried a couple of fungi macros in the past, but with fairly average results, I think probably because I did not go out with the intention of taking them before now so was not prepared for lying down in the dirt and experimenting a bit more.

Today I spent half an hour photographing a dripping tap with my 580EX II set to 1/128. Nothing worth an upload as yet, but it has given me some ideas to try out another time.

This tends to be how I approach things, experiment with an idea, mull it around in my head and then have a go at delivering it. A couple of my self portrait manipulations went through this process.

What I find interesting is that I am much more experimental in areas I do not do much. If I am shooting an Airshow or doing some landscape work I tend to stick with the tried and tested and do not try anything new, but if I stick a flash on my camera, get the Dlites out, or stick a macro lens on I throw more caution to the wind.

Hopefully at some point in the future my competence in my comfort zone will merge with my experimentation out of it.

As it is currently, I am just enjoying trying something new and getting my brain engaged a bit more.

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2010 - 10:22 AM

if the sea level is only at nose height by 2050, there isn't really much to worry about. i think that woman needs a sign attached to a balloon that is about 150ft+ up in the air to get a point across Grin

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53531 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2010 - 10:26 AM

I don't know if she was right or wrong, but she was in central london and if true it would slow the tube trains down a bit.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2010 - 1:19 PM

Quote: I am just enjoying trying something new and getting my brain engaged a bit more.

I think that's the key

you do take time to learn your craft and create a consistent look - I got to a stage where I did all my landscapes with the camera same settings and filters, literally just changed teh shutter speed for exposure purposes. You can record settings on the 5D and use the "C" setting to get back to the setting at any time. I used that.

Just plonked the tripod down, took a meter reading, changed the shutter and the rest was "pre set". Did the job, but didn't really make me think too much - oddly enough they used to be the shots that got 50+ clicks on here Wink

No I've tried other landscape things, shooting wide open, long lenses, lensbaby, HDR - all sorts, just keeps it interesting and hopefully differentiates you from the pack

newy17
newy17  8273 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Oct 2010 - 3:48 PM

Funnily enough my soft box has just arrived as im desperate to learn off camera flashSmile
I have always been comfortable at shooting at night but want to try so many different things, ive just gone from my 20D to a D700 plus quality lenses and since having the D700 i only shoot in Manual now instead of Aperture priority which is a big step forward lol

Taking portraits scares the crap out of me so i play it safe with candids but its something im going to push myself into doingSad
So its going to be fun using flash as ive never used a flashgun lol.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.