Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Too much effort....

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 12:48PM
I'm trying to disassemble my octagonal softbox - it's going to take as much effort to pull it apart as it did to put together Sad I think a coffee and something to eat is called for.............. spinach maybe!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RoyBoy e2
10 173 2 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2013 1:18PM
Hi Alison
Yer they can be a right pain in the rear end. A few years ago I bought a Lencarta octagonal softbox that opens and closes something like an umbrella. It is brilliant. Easy to out up and take down and of very good quality. Here is a link
http://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-shopfront/non-folding-softboxes/profold-softbox.
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 1:28PM
Oh I've given up for now and made a coffee instead. It's just too big and I have nowhere to store it so time to tuck it away somewhere.

The Lencarta boxes look nice - possibly a bit too expensive right now but a couple will go on my 'want list'. I thought I might try one of the el cheapo Walimex brolly boxes for the time being as I have a voucher ready to be spent - nothing ventured....... Smile
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 1:43PM
Blimey - I've dunnit!!!!! Now to find the bag it came in Smile
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2013 1:50PM
I've given up - mine sit in the garage (framed picture store in reality Grin ) ready to go at a moments notice (well, that's what I tell myself to cover my incompetence at disassembly / reassembly, it always looks so easy in the vids )
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 1:54PM
A major clear-out of the garage is on the cards plus the addition of a decent shelving system etc so a lot of stuff can be moved in there. Plus the garage itself is in need of some TLC - there's always something that needs doing!
indemnity 6 331
29 Dec 2013 5:36PM
Assembling/dismantling 1.4m+ octaboxes single handed, is like trying to wallpaper your hall through the letterbox.
AndS e2
2 976 England
29 Dec 2013 5:44PM
Looks as much fun as putting my Base Seconds tent away GrinGrin
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 6:16PM

Quote:Looks as much fun as putting my Base Seconds tent away GrinGrin

Ha - I like : "Folds away in under 2 minutes once you get the hang of it" Smile
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 6:17PM

Quote:Assembling/dismantling 1.4m+ octaboxes single handed, is like trying to wallpaper your hall through the letterbox.

Brute force and ignorance won in the end - I've still to find something to put it in but at least it's in bits now Smile
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2013 8:03PM
I gave up trying to un-assemble my softbox. Seriously thinking about using it as a lampshade!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Dec 2013 8:22PM
Always the sign of a cheap box. Wink
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Dec 2013 8:48PM

Quote:Always the sign of a cheap box. Wink

well it was part of a kit so certainly wasn't expensive Smile
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 11:00AM
On some of the tighter more tricky softboxes (including my octbox) i tend to pull the tensioning rods to the side into a curve before trying to get them out the retaining pocket at the edge of the fabric, this tends to give just enough movement for release.
One of my cheapest rectangular softboxes has a super idea - a velcro strap that goes over end of the tensioning rod to create the pocket, it means you just undo the velcro and the rod slides out leaving less tension on the other 3, super idea.

You could just also get a Parabolic umbrella thing and add a diffuser to it instead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Umbrella-White-Parabolic-Type-59-64-150-162cm-diameter-arc-Z3-/161159762851 I like round/oct reflectors for the catch light shape they give.
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
1 Jan 2014 10:29AM
One of the rods on the softbox does have the velcro strap which indeed works well. However all the rest are pockets for some reason. I may well modify it in due course - another thing on my list of things to do.

I have bought a couple of inexpensive brolly boxes - I had a voucher to spend so it made sense to buy something useful. If I can get my act together today I'll give them a go!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.