Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Judging the Weekly Challenge

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

Wilco54 e2
2 150 1 Luxembourg
14 Feb 2013 9:15AM
The exchange ref the decision to give Daleslass the win this week is quite interesting and it got me thinking! I really like the weekly challenge and now aim to make the time each week to participate as the quality of entries, and the interpretations put on the theme, teaches me a lot. But the judging, if you are fortunate enough to have won, is quite difficult because it is quite subjective. This week's photos were quite a dilemma because many of them warranted merit but, for me, Daleslass photo was technically the best and also showed most interesting composition and interpretation. I really liked Slowsong's image but the question I have is, was it about Transport or was it a brilliantly executed candid of two people on a platform and therfore more about Passengers? (I think the guy wishes he was photographing into a mirror !!!!!).

One idea for changing the judging process to have a more objective result could be for each entrant to vote on his/her top 5 awarding 5 for the best and 1 for the 5th place, excluding their own photo of course. The Challenge setter then "only" has to add up the marks and announce the winner. The problem with this idea is that it will extend the time for everyone, especially after the 8pm cut-off and not everying will be able to send in a score on time. I am particularly think of Shakey's major time difference.

I thought I would float the idea but if it is shot down I will not be offended and am sure we will all be happy continuing as is!

Best wishes
Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
14 Feb 2013 10:51AM
Many thanks for you thoughts, Chris, and taking the time and trouble to make the comments about judging.
Bren has had to reliinquish the leadership of the group, and asked if I would take over. With some hesitancy I agreed, and did so late last night after the discussions of the three ladies.
For that reason I will not comment right now, but wait for the responses of other members , then try and summarise the consensus of opinion.

Kind regards,

Jack
14 Feb 2013 11:24AM
I like the idea Wilco, it would most definately take all the stress out of voting but as hard as it was to choose it was also fun. It could extend the announcing of the winner by a little in some cases, but with my time zone and math skills, it might be daysGrin. With having so many awesome shots to choose from I personally found the word CHALLENGE in the weekly title refered to picking the weekly winner, No matter the voting system I just hope I can find the time to participate more often.Grin

Shakey
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
14 Feb 2013 11:43AM
Thanks, Shakey. Hope to see your uploads soon!

Cheers,

Jack
Wilco54 e2
2 150 1 Luxembourg
14 Feb 2013 1:08PM

Quote:I like the idea Wilco, it would most definately take all the stress out of voting but as hard as it was to choose it was also fun. It could extend the announcing of the winner by a little in some cases, but with my time zone and math skills, it might be daysGrin. With having so many awesome shots to choose from I personally found the word CHALLENGE in the weekly title refered to picking the weekly winner, No matter the voting system I just hope I can find the time to participate more often.Grin

Shakey

Shakey
I agree about the challenge! The issue for me on the two occaisions I have had to judge the winning entries is do I pick a photo I like because it is more in-tune with my style or do I pick one that appears to be the best technically even though its not a style I am naturally drawn too. But I o agree, its fun and I dont want to remove that element!
Chris
wynn469 5 72 Wales
14 Feb 2013 9:09PM
Giving everybody that enter a vote could encourage people who are members but never enter.

One thing that could occur is that there would have to be a period for entries if thatís the right word, there would have to be a fixed time to vote,
point would then have to be added and winner accredited then winner could take time to announce the thyme for the next week.

The weekly challenge could end up as a six day challenge or one that ends up a day later every week.
I enjoy the challenge sometimes scratching the bottom of the barrel for entry material but that is the challenge.

Judging is very subjective to the individual and I have never had any concern about the results.

Just a last word to thank everybody that enter making the challange and to that members that donít please try you could find you enjoy it.

I am happy to go along with the flow.
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 9:52PM
Hi

it's a nice idea, but I prefer the current method.

Although I have not had to judge the B&W Challenge, I did judge the Macro Challenge and agree, it is not easy. It is interesting, though, and perhaps useful learning experience?

I came across the 'everybody voting' method on another site, and, apart from the necessary delay and misunderstanding how to vote (same method as described here, but for 3 only, and it was amazing how many people couldn't get it right!) there was quite a lot of 'people voting for each-other' that made the thing rather pointless.

Just my two-penneth.....
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 10:30PM
.....mind-you, if everybody (I think there are 232 members) submitted a photo, judging it would be quite a 'challenge'.......
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
14 Feb 2013 10:32PM
Thanks Pete and Wynn. We must also consider getting deadheats or even three equals firsts if we went to a voting system

Jack.
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
14 Feb 2013 10:54PM
My opinion is that the current system works fine and no one ever finds judging easy. Of course judging is subjective and personal choice always comes into play when two or more images vie for first place. There will always be glitches from time to time but I have always found that they have been treated fairly and never caused offence or recrimination. We are, and always will be, a friendly group with the aim of sharing not just our images but a common joy of competition. Actually it matters not who wins, the greater reward is taking part and having fun.

The problem I have with having everyone judge is that the votes may spread so that no overall winner is chosen. Also I am not always home on a Wednesday night so my vote would be delayed or miss the deadline.

I love the irony of current arrangement too, 'well done, you won, now comes the hard part'

Ken
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
15 Feb 2013 12:18AM
Surely the fact is that we have difficulty getting double figure entries every week from a site with thousands of eligible posters, so making it any more difficult isn't likely to be helpful? I know that a number of times I've posted a shot that had little chance of being chosen, but the concept is to get out there that week and take a mono shot that meets the chosen subject and it's better to be in than not?
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
15 Feb 2013 12:47AM
Thanks Peter, for your comments.

Regards,

Jack
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
15 Feb 2013 1:10AM
Ta, Ken. Sorry not to acknowledge you earlier. I blame the wine!Smile
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
15 Feb 2013 10:55AM
Jack I like things as they are, If i remember correctly I have judged it 3 ( maybe 4 time) once when I had not won but was requested to judge. I feel sure that when I
judged I placed all entries in the order that I thought they should be and gave my reasons for doing so. Eric.
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
15 Feb 2013 12:26PM
It's good of you to comment, Eric. Thank you

Regards,

Jack

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.