Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Theme for week commencing October 31 - ending November 7

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
User_Removed
9 Nov 2012 - 5:52 PM

I guess there is some lack of communication with regard "comment" and "critique". For me "comment" is not synonymous with "critique". "Comment" is far less serious, can be lighthearted, funny, friendly, thoughtful, considered. "Critique" is in-depth analysis by an expert listing what works and what doesn't and why, and may even encompass suggestions for improvement. I, personally, will only solicit critique when I have a problem I can't find a solution for myself. Comment on the other hand is always welcome. For me comment enlivens the participation and I honestly find lack of comment really off putting, like in the daily challenge threads. So you take a picture to the theme and post it and no-one says a thing so whats the point then? Even if you say the dreaded 'nice shot' its better than deadly silence. Thats how I feel anyway.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Nov 2012 - 5:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 6:10 PM

Quote:

If there's too much buzz, people might buzz off.

Or some made a beeline out of here for lack of comments TongueWink

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2723 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
9 Nov 2012 - 6:34 PM

You ask what is the point of uploading a photo if there is no comment, Bugsy. A good question for a new group member.The point is rising to the challenge, racking the brain and having fun thinking a
suitable photo of a subject not within ones current repertoire, taking it and uploading it for the interest of others. The interpretation of topics is sometimes astounding,Bugsy. SmileHence rules 1 and 2 . I do hope you'll take the opportunity of looking at previous topics so that you may appreciate this. This a fun group, as you may gather from recent comments . I respect the sincerity of your views, and I know you will the views of those who posted views today.
It seems to me that that the concensus of opinion seems to be leaning towards keeping things the enjoyable way they are, but inviting critique of mods if so desired.

Regards,Smile

Jack

JawDborn
9 Nov 2012 - 6:35 PM

'Or' not 'of' !

Jestertheclown

Quote: It seems to me that that the concensus of opinion seems to be leaning towards keeping things the enjoyable way they are, but inviting critique of mods if so desired.

That's the plan Jack.
No-one has to give or receive critique and mods. can be used to (politely) introduce some humour into an image.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314966 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 7:05 PM

Quote: I'm for keeping it simple ie. pretty much the way it's gone on since the group started

Yes, no need to complicate things Smile

User_Removed
9 Nov 2012 - 7:23 PM

Quote: The point is rising to the challenge, racking the brain and having fun thinking a
suitable photo of a subject not within ones current repertoire, taking it and uploading it for the interest of others. The interpretation of topics is sometimes astounding,Bugsy.

Your response is interesting -

"for the interest of others" - this presupposes that the others are actually looking .. which I highly doubt is happening in the daily challenge threads because when I posted a question about participating in the thread there was no response which I assumed meant that not one of the people who posted images after I asked the question actually looked at the content of any preceding post. If they had I assume that some one would have answered, given that generally speaking there is a very good response on this forum. I feel that if there were a spirit of interaction in those threads that a. the people posting pictures would get a sense of validation / appreciation / acknowledgement that they didn't just put the photo into a sterile vacuum and that b. it would add to the interest as people react to the different interpretations of the challenge as you mentioned.

I don't feel that it is wrong to link looking with commenting. If you look then I have a reasonable expectation of comment. Commenting is the means by which we interact with each other and with the image. Even when I look at pictures in the gallery, if I like it enough to look, then I should make the effort to comment, if only to respect the effort it took to take the photo, prepare it for viewing etc.

I think that it should be part of the etiquette of the site to comment as much as possible and as interactively as possible ie to express your interaction with the image. How it made you feel, what you like about it, what you think of it, etc. Otherwise truly what is the point of being here at all?

I would like to add that for me, photography is a joy. I don't need the artificial motivation of a daily or weekly challenge to get me to get up and take photos. I participate for the interaction with other photographers, to get reactions to my photos so I can see whether I am achieving what I am trying to achieve, whether I am moving people in the way I am trying to move them etc.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Nov 2012 - 7:30 PM
User_Removed
9 Nov 2012 - 7:35 PM

Because after all, isn't the fundamental reason we are all here, instead of looking at our images on our computer by ourselves, is for our work to be seen, and comments are the means by which we are assured that some one did see and was moved by our work sufficiently to respond.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Nov 2012 - 7:39 PM
JawDborn
9 Nov 2012 - 7:44 PM

Perhaps you're in the wrong group then, Bugsy.

User_Removed
9 Nov 2012 - 8:03 PM

and you all wonder why people stop participating in these groups.

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5467 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 8:18 PM

ooops there goes the fun!SadSadSad

wynn469
wynn469  572 forum posts Wales
9 Nov 2012 - 8:26 PM

I belong to three groups, a Mono group and a Black and white group which I upload from time to time and have feedback about images and try to pass comments about others images in the group.
This is a simple challenge group for individual authors to interpret a theme and some fun in looking for a subject.

JawDborn
9 Nov 2012 - 9:14 PM

Well said, Wynn. We all seem to be out of step excep for one person!SadSadSad

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 9:22 PM

On a fun note: this thread is at this particular moment on top in the Hot Topics list Smile

Hope everyone has a great weekend - I guess it's gotten cold on the other side of the pond. We hit 82F today in my part of the world.

JawDborn
9 Nov 2012 - 9:31 PM

Hi Anne,

82F? Wow, that 's top of the hot tropics (sic) list! Too hot for vaccing, that 's for sure. We just open the windows when it's windy to get rid of the dust.

Cheers,

Jack

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.