Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weekly B&W Challenge ending Wed 23 January -- Architecture

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
rambler
rambler e2 Member 5412 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 3:27 PM

Great to have you back Jester GrinGrin

Ken

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jan 2013 - 3:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
20 Jan 2013 - 3:34 PM

Thanks Ken.
When I volunteered to take over as the leader of this (and the B/W group), I figured that there wouldn't be too much to it but even when I'm not taking part, I feel as if I should be lurking somewhere on the sidelines and it's proven to be considerably more time consuming than I'd expected.
Still!
My 366 thing, which has also been quite a challenge, expires in ten days time, so that will free me up a little.
Cheers,
Bren.

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5412 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 5:06 PM

I am on day 20 of my 365 and I already admire anyone who has done or tried it, so well done for persevering, and thanks for taking this on and
staying with us in your busy year,

Ken

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2687 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
20 Jan 2013 - 5:43 PM

There's nothing butt snow here either, Ken.

bkwpix
bkwpix  3 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 - 2:02 PM

Hi Guys

OK first time here, first photo going up now, looking forward to getting into this group and seeing how to improve my B&W photos, I have to say I think I like shooting for B&W better than colour.

Ben

Jestertheclown
21 Jan 2013 - 5:30 PM

Quote: I am on day 20 of my 365 and I already admire anyone who has done or tried it, so well done for persevering,

Thanks again Ken.
You now need to have a camera with you at all times.
By day twenty (or twenty one by now) you're probably just getting the first feelings of 'what-am-I-doing-this-for?!' And the early stages of regret/panic are just around the corner.
To complete one of these successfully, you need to always have a camera with you, even in places where you'd never normally take one. You'll end up taking shots of car dealerships in the dark, flowers in complete strangers' gardens, fruit on the shelves in Tescos; in fact anything that takes your fancy, even for a split second, becomes a potential target. And usually, those shots work, which is why you must always have a camera with you.
The worst case scenario is that you'll end up scratching around in the garden at ten minutes to midnight, looking for something, anything, for that day's shot. Trust me!
To avoid that, I made a list, most of which I memorised, of things about the place that I could photograph when all else has failed. Having a daughter and a dog at home helps here. Also, it's easy to find your camera when you're at home.
Don't restrict yourself in any way at all re. the things that you shoot. Subjects that you'd ordinarily have disregarded suddenly take on a whole new meaning and you just have to photograph them.
And never leave home without a camera.
There's an exchange re. this subject between myself and Jack (strokebloke) on this subject on yesterday's page in my blog, if you're interested.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Good luck!

Bren.

"Wherever you go, be sure to have a camera with you!"

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 10:23 PM

OK now people, still a full day to capture that shot of a piece of architecture that looks good in b&w, and the weather must have eased off by this time! Wink

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 10:30 PM

ha - it's snowing again here and my boss has borrowed my Fuji X10 - but will hopefully return it tomorrow. I'm not wandering about in snow and ice with the SLR - I was doing that last time I landed on the deck though only broke the lens-cap on my fisheye!

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
23 Jan 2013 - 3:02 PM

Added my challenge just thought i'd add a few samples of what my subject is about. Smile
1140-5-14-113.jpg
archive-old-huts.jpg

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 8:47 PM

That was a pleasant surprise to see the late flurry of entries, so well done to everyone who managed to enter. Particular mentions for Gary66 and JawDBorn for the interesting history of their subjects, but I've gone for Wilco54's shot as this week's winner. That's a bit of a surprise as I was expecting to go for an older design, but that's the joy of having a wide choice. Congrats to Chris then and over to you for next week's subject. Smile

Wilco54
Wilco54  2128 forum posts Luxembourg1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 8:56 PM

Quote: That was a pleasant surprise to see the late flurry of entries, so well done to everyone who managed to enter. Particular mentions for Gary66 and JawDBorn for the interesting history of their subjects, but I've gone for Wilco54's shot as this week's winner. That's a bit of a surprise as I was expecting to go for an older design, but that's the joy of having a wide choice. Congrats to Chris then and over to you for next week's subject. Smile

Ah, its a surprise for me too but then I am an older design! Many thanks indeed. I have an idea or two for next week , bear with me for 15 mins or so
Chris

Wilco54
23 Jan 2013 - 9:01 PM

Quote: I am on day 20 of my 365 and I already admire anyone who has done or tried it, so well done for persevering, and thanks for taking this on and
staying with us in your busy year,

Ken

I did that last year and more or less managed to complete it! Its a real challenge but forces you to be creative when you realise its 11.40pm and you havent taken a shot yet! You just have to hope its raining on your car outside! Are you going to post it anywhere? This tear I a doing one a week. Actually its two, one colour and one mono, per week! Good luck!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 9:07 PM

Well done Chris - as soon as I saw your pic I knew it was going to win Smile

Thanks for hosting Peter....

Wilco54
23 Jan 2013 - 9:10 PM

Quote: Well done Chris - as soon as I saw your pic I knew it was going to win Smile

Thanks for hosting Peter....

Thanks Alison and apologies, many thanks for hosting Peter!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.