Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weekly Macro Challenge ending Sunday 2nd June. Subject - In the garden

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Stuart463
Stuart463 e2 Member 6560 forum postsStuart463 vcard United Kingdom
27 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

In an attempt to boost numbers I will make the subject as open to interpretation as possible. The challenge this week then is to produce macros taken in the garden. It can be plants, flowers, insects, garden implements, in fact anything you would normally find outdoors in the garden. Plenty of scope here so I hope it will encourage participation.

The Rules are:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. All images must be taken after the theme is announced.
3. The challenge runs until 8pm next Sunday.
4. Only one upload per member.
5. Please feel free to comment on the entries once judging is complete.
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week challenge and the judges decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. Have fun.

All that remains now is for you to attach the macro lens and spend a pleasant hour or so in the garden. What could be easier?

Regards, Stuart

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

I've not done a Macro challenge yet. What's the rule about lenses? Do we have to use a macro lens or can we just get close in or zoom in with an ordinary lens?

Stuart463
27 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Feel free to use any lens, it's the macro concept that matters ...

Stuart

Griff2012
Griff2012 e2 Member 2329 forum postsGriff2012 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

A chance to add to your wildflower project, Slowsong Smile

Macro covers close-up, detail, textures - can be done with any zoom lens or fixed lens. Dedicated macro lenses allow you to fill the frame with the smaller subjects while you would need to accept some cropping with standard lenses to achieve the same.
Enjoy yourself - it's a wonderful world when you get up close!

Jacqui Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Ok, thanks for the info. Smile

petebfrance
27 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

....and don't forget that compacts often have useful macro capabilities.....

SlowSong
27 May 2013 - 1:18 PM

Ah yes, my trusty G11 is magic for macros. Smile I just wondered what the rules were regarding equipment. Smile

Last Modified By SlowSong at 27 May 2013 - 1:19 PM
johnke
johnke  154 forum posts South Africa9 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2013 - 5:24 PM

Hi I have just joined the group, where do I upload my Image, Please...John

Stuart463
30 May 2013 - 5:39 PM

Hi johnke and welcome. Just underneath the Header Weekly Macro Challenge you will see a toolbar
Home Comments News Photos Forums Calendar More
Click on Photos and this will take you to a new screen - click on upload photo (top right) and follow on screen instructions.

HTH, Stuart

johnke
johnke  154 forum posts South Africa9 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2013 - 8:24 PM

Thank you Stuart..John

AnneB50
AnneB50 e2 Member 292 forum postsAnneB50 vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 3:11 PM

Some great images this week, it won't be easy to judge!

petebfrance
2 Jun 2013 - 3:29 PM

Yes, just looking through them now. Some really nice ones - perhaps there should be a Garden Photography 'challenge group' as well as it's a subject that can be interesting and possibly different most of the year round?

I've finally added one too - not pretty but I've not come across one of them before so am rather pleased with it
(it also appears on my PF - which tends to make things difficult if for any reason it is to be deleted from there as there does not seem to be an option to delete from the PF and leave the picture in a group....)

Stuart463
2 Jun 2013 - 8:04 PM

OK, times up. Nice to see so many entries this week and some cracking ones at that - thank you all for your efforts.

Give me a little time to look at them all again and decide on a winner - it's going to be a difficult task.

Stuart

Stuart463
2 Jun 2013 - 8:31 PM

I love taking part in the Weekly Macro Challenge but find it very difficult to judge when the standard is this high......

We do have to have a winner though so the top three (in reverse order) are:-

In equal third place are Taff with Cola Bottles and SlowSong with Shamrock

In second place is johnke with A Balanced Drink

but in first place (drumroll please) is petebfrance with Darter Dragonfly - an excellent macro

Over to you then Peter for next weeks challenge where hopefully we will keep up the momentum on entries.

Regards to all, Stuart

Griff2012
Griff2012 e2 Member 2329 forum postsGriff2012 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 8:44 PM

Well done pete - lovely image and a tricky subject too. Look forward to next weeks challenge. Smile

Stuart, thanks - wouldn't like to have been in your shoes this week - really difficult to choose from.

Jacqui Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.