Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Charity begins at Home- A protest against Government Waste

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Add Comment

I Protest shot against government waste which runs into many millions...and the taxpayer as usual has to to be the money tree for all there follies...

Brand:Pentax
Camera:Pentax K-5 Check out PENTAXPORTAL!
Lens:Tamron SP 10-24mm1:3.5-4.5 Check out Totally Tamron!
Recording media:JPEG (digital)
Date Taken:10 May 2012 - 11:47 AM
Focal Length:10mm
Aperture:f/4.0
Shutter Speed:1/400sec
Exposure Comp:0.0
ISO:200
Exposure Mode:Shutter speed priority AE
Metering Mode:Multi-segment
Flash:Off, Did not fire
White Balance:Daylight
Title:Charity begins at Home- A protest against Government Waste
Username:bluelemon bluelemon
Uploaded:1 Apr 2013 - 5:59 PM
Tags:Photo journalism
Votes:Voting Disabled
Critque wantedCritique Wanted
Has Modifications Modifications Welcome (Upload a Modification)
Awards have been disabled on this photo

Comments

This photo is here for critique. Please only comment constructively and with suggestions on how to improve it.
NDODS
NDODS e2 Member 33063 forum postsNDODS vcard United Kingdom101 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 6:15 PM

A wonderfully observed and captured character, who I am sure has much to comment on.

Regards Nathan

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

paulbroad
paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom845 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 6:17 PMConstructive Critique!This comment was flagged as constructive critique! 

An interesting striking viewpoint although the protest could be about anything. You don't mention processing, but you have done something as the colours are not right. There are also signs of a degree of over sharpening as there are haloes round the head and background objects.

I suspect you shot from the hip and the camera has failed to focus on the subjects face.

Paul

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

mrswoolybill
mrswoolybill Critique Team 7405 forum postsmrswoolybill vcard United Kingdom990 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 6:20 PM

A powerful image, you've caught him in mid flow and there's raw passion in his face. I can hear the voice from here...
Timing is everything, and you nailed that. But I do find the processing a bit of a distraction, this looks a wee bit oversharpened to me - I'm looking particularly at his forehead, stubble and throat.
Plus - this is crying out for b&w conversion!
Moira

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

bluelemon
bluelemon  2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2013 - 6:58 PM


Quote: An interesting striking viewpoint although the protest could be about anything. You don't mention processing, but you have done something as the colours are not right. There are also signs of a degree of over sharpening as there are haloes round the head and background objects.

I suspect you shot from the hip and the camera has failed to focus on the subjects face.

Paul


Quote: An interesting striking viewpoint although the protest could be about anything. You don't mention processing, but you have done something as the colours are not right. There are also signs of a degree of over sharpening as there are haloes round the head and background objects.

I suspect you shot from the hip and the camera has failed to focus on the subjects face.

Paul

Hello Paul l was in the middle of a protest at the time and not easy to shoot , yes shot from the hip l processed this in Serif photoplus x5 and a bit of HDR in Topaz adjust 4.. it was shear luck l got Big Ben in thanks to the 10-24mm l was using at the time.. l agree about the colours ect.. l had processed and done this shot before cataract operations so hopefully should get things better in future...Thanks for your comments much appreciated ...Alan

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

bluelemon
bluelemon  2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2013 - 7:00 PM


Quote: A wonderfully observed and captured character, who I am sure has much to comment on.

Regards Nathan


Quote: A wonderfully observed and captured character, who I am sure has much to comment on.

Regards Nathan

Hello Nathan thanks for your interest much appreciated...Alan

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

bluelemon
bluelemon  2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2013 - 7:03 PM


Quote: A powerful image, you've caught him in mid flow and there's raw passion in his face. I can hear the voice from here...
Timing is everything, and you nailed that. But I do find the processing a bit of a distraction, this looks a wee bit oversharpened to me - I'm looking particularly at his forehead, stubble and throat.
Plus - this is crying out for b&w conversion!
Moira


Quote: A powerful image, you've caught him in mid flow and there's raw passion in his face. I can hear the voice from here...
Timing is everything, and you nailed that. But I do find the processing a bit of a distraction, this looks a wee bit oversharpened to me - I'm looking particularly at his forehead, stubble and throat.
Plus - this is crying out for b&w conversion!
Moira

Hello Moira thank you for you comments, yes l agree with what your saying overdone the sharpening, when l took this l was caught up in protest and a lot of pushing and shoving going on at the time,,,Thanks for your comments ...Best Wishes Alan.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10822 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2821 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 7:07 PMConstructive Critique!This comment was flagged as constructive critique! 

A strong image that certainly tells the story, especially when you realize hes wearing what appear to be pyjamas under the jacket.

Its works, better with less of a magenta cast, and once some colour balance is done, the sharpness issue is less of an issue.


Loaded a mod cropped from the bottom.


regards



Willie

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

mrswoolybill
mrswoolybill Critique Team 7405 forum postsmrswoolybill vcard United Kingdom990 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 7:10 PMConstructive Critique!This comment was flagged as constructive critique! 

I've uploaded a Mod - I cropped, because I'm not sure that his muddy fleece adds value in proportion with the amount of space it occupies in the frame. It's not quite a square crop, which I would have preferred in principle but that would have been a bit tight. But for me it takes us more directly to the face; plus I think it makes better use of the diagonals on the right, Big Ben and also the row of tourists' faces.
Converted to b&w - and the only other thing I've done is to brighten the catchlights in the eyes.
I love shooting from the hip, it's difficult to predict the results but when it works you have something unique and very personal, direct. It's particularly tricky to achieve in portrait (or was this cropped down from a larger frame?) And it's worth putting your focus area above the centre of the frame, to aim for the face.
Moira

Last Modified By mrswoolybill at 1 Apr 2013 - 7:14 PM

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

bluelemon
bluelemon  2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2013 - 9:01 PM


Quote: A strong image that certainly tells the story, especially when you realize hes wearing what appear to be pyjamas under the jacket.

Its works, better with less of a magenta cast, and once some colour balance is done, the sharpness issue is less of an issue.


Loaded a mod cropped from the bottom.


regards



Willie

Hello Willie thank you for you comments much appreciated Best Wishes Alan

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

bluelemon
bluelemon  2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2013 - 9:12 PM


Quote: I've uploaded a Mod - I cropped, because I'm not sure that his muddy fleece adds value in proportion with the amount of space it occupies in the frame. It's not quite a square crop, which I would have preferred in principle but that would have been a bit tight. But for me it takes us more directly to the face; plus I think it makes better use of the diagonals on the right, Big Ben and also the row of tourists' faces.
Converted to b&w - and the only other thing I've done is to brighten the catchlights in the eyes.
I love shooting from the hip, it's difficult to predict the results but when it works you have something unique and very personal, direct. It's particularly tricky to achieve in portrait (or was this cropped down from a larger frame?) And it's worth putting your focus area above the centre of the frame, to aim for the face.
Moira

Moira many thanks yes it was cropped down from a larger frame.. l think the eyes said it all for me you are so correct l love shooting from the hip also, l do a lot of Demo shots in London when l can, Thank you for all you advice Alan...

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

paulbroad
paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom845 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 10:23 AM

It's probably the HDR that has caused the strange effect then. I trust the protest was about all our recent governments, not just this one.

Paul

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

bluelemon
bluelemon  2 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2013 - 7:37 PM


Quote: It's probably the HDR that has caused the strange effect then. I trust the protest was about all our recent governments, not just this one.

Paul

Absolutely they all have plenty to answer for the state we are in... Best wishes Alan.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

- Original Poster Comments
- Your Posts

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.