1. Culzean Castle and Country Park (600 acres) lie south of Ayr and north of Turnberry on the Ayrshire coast.
2. In 1569 Sir Thomas Kennedy was given the Culzean Estates by his brother, the 4th. Earl of Cassillis.
3. In the 18th. Cent. Robert Adam transformed the relatively modest tower house into the masterpiece we see today.
4. The 12th. Earl secured the family's (Kennedy) fortunes and gained for himself the title 1st. Marquess of Ailsa.
5. After the 3rd. Marquess died in 1938, the family spent less time at Culzean and in 1945 the widow of the 4th. Marquess agreed to hand over the Castle and grounds to the National Trust for Scotland, subject to the top floor of the Castle being converted into a flat for the lifetime use by General Eisenhower as a gesture of gratitude from the people of Scotland for his successes as Supreme Allied Commander in WW 11.
6. The Castle and Country Park is now the National Trust for Scotland's flagship property.
7. The castle stands on a cliff top (as seen in V 1........the EXIF data refers to V 1 only) with views across the Firth of Clyde to Arran (V 2 shows such a view on a sunnier day)
My thanks to all who commented on A Misty Moment.......your time and remarks are much appreciated.
|Camera:||Nikon D700 Check out Nikon Nation!|
|Recording media:||JPEG (digital)|
|Lens Max Aperture:||f/4.6|