This photo was taken in the ' martyred village ' of Oradour-sur Glane in the Haut Vienne region of France. It was here on the 10th June 1944 that
a division of two hundred SS, retreating south, stopped and committed an act of terror. They plundered, set fire to the village and massacred
642 persons including 193 children. Only a few villagers escaped to tell the story.
General Charles de Gaulle decreed that the ruins of Oradour be preserved in order ' to bear witness for the rest of mankind of the
consequences of the barbarity of war '
|Camera:||Nikon D60 Check out Nikon Nation!|
|Recording media:||JPEG (digital)|
|Date Taken:||9 Aug 2011 - 12:58 PM|
|Lens Max Aperture:||f/3.7|
|Exposure Mode:||Aperture-priority AE|