Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

The Majestic Kelpies - Gold on Blue

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Add Comment

The Kelpies are located in Helix Park, Grangemouth, Central Scotland and now fully open to the public (for free). They are the creation of Andy Scott who has a good number of very interesting steel sculptures dotted around the UK but mainly Scotland. (I think he has one out in Australia too).
This is a very long exposure taken during the blue hour where I wanted to blur the cloud movement (No ND filter used as I had the bulbous 14-24 f2.8 coupled up to my D800). I liked the contrast between the warmth of the lit decking and sculptures compared to the cold blue/grey sky).

Brand:NIKON CORPORATION
Camera:Nikon D800 Check out Nikon Nation!
Lens:14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8
Recording media:RAW (digital)
Date Taken:10 May 2014 - 10:08 PM
Focal Length:14mm
Lens Max Aperture:f/2.8
Aperture:f/20.0
Shutter Speed:112sec
Exposure Comp:-2/3
ISO:50
Exposure Mode:Manual
Metering Mode:Multi-segment
Flash:Off, Did not fire
White Balance:Manual
Title:The Majestic Kelpies - Gold on Blue
Username:Bermrunner Bermrunner
Uploaded:19 May 2014 - 8:48 PM
Tags:Evening, Floodlit, Horses, Landscape / travel, Lights, Overcast, Reflection, Sculptures, Stainless steel, The Kelpies, Water
VS Mode Rating 101 (100% won)
These stats show the percentage of wins and the rating score that your photo has achieved. You can go to the VS Mode by clicking on this icon.

Signup to e2

Signup to e2 to see which photo this has won or lost against in the vs mode
Votes:Voting Disabled
Critque wantedCritique Wanted
Has Modifications Modifications Welcome (Upload a Modification)
Awards have been disabled on this photo

Comments

This photo is here for critique. Please only comment constructively and with suggestions on how to improve it.
ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2014 - 9:12 PM

Very interesting, like the lead in to the image and very clear too, good clarity.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Coast
Coast Critique Team 61230 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2014 - 9:16 PM

Hi Stephen and welcome to the CG. Not sure if you've been in before as although you have been on EPZ for some time, this appears to be the only photo in your PF.

It is a cracker too. This is becoming a popular subject following the unveiling of these sculptures but it is good to see a creative take from many of the standard views.

For me this has been very well visualised and executed. I can only suggest a different crop to give a better balance perhaps to the subject by losing some of the foreground. I've uploaded a mod to demonstrate.

An appealing image.

Regards
Paul

Last Modified By Coast at 19 May 2014 - 9:18 PM

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2014 - 9:36 PM


Quote: Very interesting, like the lead in to the image and very clear too, good clarity.

Thank you Ian, I was really using a high aperture to increase the exposure time to capture cloud movement. I guess, even risking diffraction, the benefit was huge DoF.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Lelah
Lelah e2 Member 1Lelah vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2014 - 9:54 PM

This is not really a critique it is just a comment to say that I think this a beautiful shot. I have photographed the Kelpies and found it very hard to capture the majesty of them and you have done just that, it is lovely.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

fazzer
fazzer e2 Member 534 forum postsfazzer vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2014 - 9:57 PM

Superb shot

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2014 - 9:58 PM


Quote: Hi Stephen and welcome to the CG. Not sure if you've been in before as although you have been on EPZ for some time, this appears to be the only photo in your PF.

It is a cracker too. This is becoming a popular subject following the unveiling of these sculptures but it is good to see a creative take from many of the standard views.

For me this has been very well visualised and executed. I can only suggest a different crop to give a better balance perhaps to the subject by losing some of the foreground. I've uploaded a mod to demonstrate.

An appealing image.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I have been a non-participating member of EPZ for a while, however, I have thoroughly enjoyed the reviews and inspirational aspects of the site.

Thanks for taking the time to review and consider my image. They really are a fantastic sight in IRL. I would agree that the crop that you've shown does indeed improve the balance of the image and brings the main subject/s more into the overall scene.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2014 - 10:09 PM


Quote: This is not really a critique it is just a comment to say that I think this a beautiful shot. I have photographed the Kelpies and found it very hard to capture the majesty of them and you have done just that, it is lovely.


Quote: This is not really a critique it is just a comment to say that I think this a beautiful shot. I have photographed the Kelpies and found it very hard to capture the majesty of them and you have done just that, it is lovely.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Last Modified By Bermrunner at 19 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2014 - 10:11 PM


Quote: Superb shot

Thank you.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10876 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2875 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

This is really good. No evidence of any lost detail from diffraction. ISO 50 can be disappointing, its all in-camera software manipulation, but this is no disappointment.

Tried a different interpretation with an alternate cop, and added space in the sky.

The EXIF contained all you RAW edits, so I was able to alter them for something a little different. And a lens correction, - you might have applied one already though.



regards



Willie

Last Modified By banehawi at 19 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2014 - 11:08 PM


Quote: This is really good. No evidence of any lost detail from diffraction. ISO 50 can be disappointing, its all in-camera software manipulation, but this is no disappointment.

Tried a different interpretation with an alternate cop, and added space in the sky.

The EXIF contained all you RAW edits, so I was able to alter them for something a little different. And a lens correction, - you might have applied one already though.



regards



Willie

Great feedback Willie, thank you. From memory, I think I did run a lens correction in LR5 on the original raw edit. Again, I like the crop which does draw the viewer to the subjects quicker. I also like the way you've darkened the sky which has the effect of both making the sky a little more imposing yet, almost counter-intuitively, emphasises the Kelpies.

Thanks for taking the time.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

ubaruch
ubaruch e2 Member 1ubaruch vcard Israel
20 May 2014 - 5:27 AM

Stunning !

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

dudler
dudler Critique Team 11107 forum postsdudler vcard England319 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2014 - 2:02 PM

I've seen other shots of these, sculptures, but this is outstandingly the best (did you have any access problems? I gathered from other posts that you - or at least your car - can end up locked in...)

Very often, we work to the shape of the camera sensor (or the film), and it's worth trying out different crops: the old idea of using two black L-shaped pieces of card works as well with a screen as a sensor: or you can samply with the cropping tool in editing, of course!

Just because it's different, and makes use of the amount of boardwalk in your original, I've gone for a more extreme crop. I don't think it's as good as the crop that Paul and Willie have used, but it expands possibilities.

The power lines are less evident at night - I wonder about cloning them out, for sheer impact (if less sense of reality...)

And a very lovely shot to begin with.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
27 May 2014 - 7:07 PM


Quote: Stunning !

Thanks very much ubaruch.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Bermrunner
Bermrunner e2 Member 5Bermrunner vcard United Kingdom
27 May 2014 - 7:17 PM


Quote: I've seen other shots of these, sculptures, but this is outstandingly the best (did you have any access problems? I gathered from other posts that you - or at least your car - can end up locked in...)

Very often, we work to the shape of the camera sensor (or the film), and it's worth trying out different crops: the old idea of using two black L-shaped pieces of card works as well with a screen as a sensor: or you can samply with the cropping tool in editing, of course!

Just because it's different, and makes use of the amount of boardwalk in your original, I've gone for a more extreme crop. I don't think it's as good as the crop that Paul and Willie have used, but it expands possibilities.

The power lines are less evident at night - I wonder about cloning them out, for sheer impact (if less sense of reality...)

And a very lovely shot to begin with.

Thank you for your helpful advice re. The L-shaped card; I hadn't heard of this but could be quite useful.

I do quite like your crop which seems to provide a lot more depth to the scene providing a longer lead-line along the decking edge. Nice.

Yes, they close the vehicle gates at 9:30 which I learnt the hard way on that particular night! Although, thankfully, the footpath to the side of the barrier is wide enough for a car to circumnavigate the carriageway drop-down barrier. I don't think that I was the first to opt for this alternative route judging by some tire marks that were evident.

Thanks also for your overall consideration of my original image.

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

Andysnapper
Andysnapper e2 Member 6102 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2014 - 6:47 AM

That is just stunning, probably the best shot I've seen of these statues. Love it.

Andy

Nominating Constructive Critique

Please ensure that you understand what is meant by Constructive Critique - see FAQ here. If you still wish to nominate this comment click Yes

- Original Poster Comments
- Your Posts

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.