Short walk from our stay... in Great Bircham is the 13th century church of St Mary's, seemed to be just another church, similar to most in Norfolk... but then in the far left corner set aside with purpose was , well this extract tells it better than me.... The first WW2 grave in the Churchyard was that of the German airman Emil Rödel who was buried in an unused corner of the Churchyard in December 1939. In February 1940 the Imperial (later Commonwealth) War Graves Commission (CWGC) applied to create a plot in which to bury the war dead. Approval was given, and the current plot, which included the grave of Emil Rödel, was laid out in March 1940. The German grave was in the ”wrong place” for the proposed layout of the plot and the Authorities planned to move the grave. However the villagers objected to the interference of the grave and it was left undisturbed. There are a total of 66 Commonwealth graves and 11 German graves in the plot . There are 2 army, 1 naval, and one WAAF’s grave in the churchyard. All members of the Commonwealth are represented with airmen from Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa lying side by side. There is also an American serving with the RAF, who joined before America entered the War. The body of an unidentified RAF Pilot Officer was recovered from the sea and lies with his comrades.
His Majesty King George VI, accompanied by his Queen and the Princess’s Elizabeth and Margaret, unveiled the Cross of Sacrifice on 14th July 1946. The Cross was the first to be erected after the 1939 -1945 war and stands near the east wall. Let into the wall behind it is an inscribed bronze plaque erected in March 1955 recording these facts.
Thanks for viewing and listening, hope images do the write up justice........
|Camera:||Canon EOS 7D |
|Lens:||EF24-105mm F/4L IS USM |
|Date Taken:||27 Jun 2013 - 10:51 AM|
|Lens Max Aperture:||f/4.0|
|Exposure Mode:||Program AE|
|Metering Mode:||Center-weighted average|
|Flash:||Off, Did not fire|