Prince Albert Memorial V.2
Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, South Kensington, London W 2.
The Albert Memorial is situated in Kensington Gardens, London, England, directly to the north of the Royal Albert Hall. It was commissioned by Queen Victoria in memory of her beloved husband, Prince Albert who died of typhoid in 1861. The memorial was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style. Opened in July 1872 by Queen Victoria, with the statue of Albert ceremonially "seated" in 1875, the memorial consists of an ornate canopy or pavilion, in the style of a Gothic ciborium over the high altar of a church, containing a statue of the prince facing south. The memorial is 176 feet (54 m) tall, took over ten years to complete, and cost £120,000 (the equivalent of about £10,000,000 in 2010). The cost was met by public subscription.
At the corners of the central area, and at the corners of the outer area, there are two allegorical sculpture programs: four groups depicting Victorian industrial arts and sciences (agriculture, commerce, engineering and manufacturing), and four more groups representing Europe, Asia, Africa and The Americas at the four corners, each continent-group including several ethnographic figures and a large animal. (A camel for Africa, a buffalo for the Americas, an elephant for Asia and a bull for Europe.)
Allegorical sculpture. The Asia group, sculpted by John Henry Foley.
Taken on September 2nd 2011.
|Camera:||Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom |
|Recording media:||JPEG (digital)|
|Date Taken:||2 Sep 2011 - 1:18 PM|
|Lens Max Aperture:||f/3.5|
|Exposure Mode:||Program AE|
|Flash:||Off, Did not fire|