Buddha in Suburbia.
The Peace Pagoda (erected in 1985) - Battersea park, London.
Battersea park is a 200 acre (83-hectare) green space at Battersea in the London Borough of Wandsworth, England. It is situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea, and was opened in 1858.
The park occupies a mix of marshland reclaimed from the Thames, and land formerly used for market gardens that served the London population.
Prior to 1846 the area now covered by the park was known as Battersea fields, and was once a popular spot for duelling. On March 21, 1829, the Duke of Wellington and the Earl of Winchilsea met on Battersea fields to settle a matter of honour. When it came time to fire, the Duke deliberately aimed his duelling pistol wide and Winchilsea fired his into the air. Winchilsea later wrote the Duke a groveling apology.
Separated from the river by a narrow raised causeway, the fields consisted of low, but fertile, marshes intersected by streams and ditches where the chief crops were carrots, melons, lavender (all the way up to Lavender Hill) and the famous ‘Battersea Bunches’ of asparagus. These crops served the London markets.
Running along the riverside from the fields were industrial concerns and wharfs, including a pottery, copper works, lime kiln, chemical works, and, increasingly, the new railways. The site of Battersea Power Station was partly occupied by the famously bawdy Red House Tavern, patronised by Charles Dickens. Access was via the rickety wooden Battersea Bridge or, more directly, by ferry direct from the Chelsea bank.
Taken on 2nd September 2011.
|Camera:||Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom |
|Recording media:||JPEG (digital)|
|Date Taken:||2 Sep 2011 - 10:27 AM|
|Lens Max Aperture:||f/3.5|
|Flash:||Off, Did not fire|