One of the seven towers of Fisherman's Bastion.
The Halászbástya or Fisherman's Bastion is a terrace in neo-Gothic and neo-Romanesque style situated on the Buda bank of the Danube, on the Castle Hill District in Budapest, near Matthias Church. It was designed and built between 1895 and 1902 on the plans of Frigyes Schulek. Between 1947–48, the son of Frigyes Schulek, János Schulek, conducted the other restoration project after its near destruction during World War II.
It's towers symbolise the seven Magyar tribes of the Hungarian conquest, who settled in the Carpathian Basin in 896 AD.
The Bastion takes it's name from the guild of fishermen, who where responsible for defending this stretch of the city walls in the Middle Ages. It is now a viewing terrace, with many stairs and walking paths.
From the towers and the terrace, a panoramic view exists of the Danube, Margaret Island, Pest to the east, and the Gellért Hill.
The Fisherman's Bastion is located at Coordinates: 47°30′6″N 19°2′6″E.
|Recording media:||JPEG (digital)|