The lighthouse on legs in Burnham-on-sea.
After the Pillar Lighthouse building was completed it was found that too low a vantage point had been chosen to take into account the massive rise and fall of the tides, so a lighthouse on legs was built in 1832 to complement the tower lighthouse.
Reactivated (inactive 1969-1996), it provides a white flash every 7.5seconds plus a directional light (white, red, or green depending on direction) The light is shown through a window.
The lighthouse is painted white with a single vertical red stripe on its front face and is 9m tall with a conical roof and mounted on 9 timber pilings.
|Title:||The Pillar Lighthouse|
|Uploaded:||19 Nov 2005 - 11:03 AM|
|Tags:||Landscape / travel|
|VS Mode Rating||