The simple brick tower was built in 1769 by Reverend Henry Wilder while he was courting Joan Thoyt of Sulhamstead House. Wilder constructed the belvedere on Nunhide Hill so that it could be seen from Thoyt's home as well as his own residence, Sulham House.
The building featured an open ground-level arcade. The painted first floor room was accessed by an exterior wooden staircase. The two floors above ground level featured glazed ogive windows. The castellated top contained a flat lead roof.
In the late 19th century the building's windows were bricked up and the tower became a dovecote.
v1 - HDR
v2 - Original
v3 - Mono
|Brand:||canon eos 50d|
|Camera:||Canon EOS 50D |
|Lens:||Canon EF24-105L |
|Recording media:||RAW (digital)|