The "Saxon" tower was designed by James Wyatt in 1794 to resemble a mock castle, and built for Lady Coventry in 1799. The tower was built on a "beacon" hill, where beacons were lit on special occasions. Lady Coventry wondered if a beacon on this hill could be seen from her house in Worcester approximately 22 miles (35 km) away and sponsored the construction of the folly to find out. The beacon could be seen clearly.
Near the tower is a memorial to the crew of an A.W.38 Whitley bomber that crashed there during a training mission in June 1943.
Courtesy of Wikipedia.
|Camera:||Canon EOS 350D |
|Lens:||EF50mm f/1.8 II |
|Recording media:||JPEG (digital)|
|Date Taken:||7 Oct 2012 - 5:59 PM|
|Flash:||Off, Did not fire|