Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete

Connect to User

loading

Waterproof cameras

Pete > Pete Blog > Waterproof cameras
06/08/2008 - 10:18 AM



Unique views 208 (228)

I was playing around with a Pentax W60 the other day. It, like all waterproof cameras is great for the beach as sand and sea will not get into the camera so you can take pictures, It's also great for good old British weather where it pees it down regularly. So fine you can use it when it's wet.

But it got me wondering, as I wiped the rain drops of between shots, how long does it take to scratch the glass/plastic protection over the lens? Because in the rain I was subject to I had to clean the lens after every shot. It wasn't long before my lens cloth was wetter than the lens. So out came the dry corner of the t-shirt, at some point it has to scratch...anyone got any experience of this?

Tags: Scratch lens, Waterproof camera, Weather, Wet

Comments

Geoffphoto
Geoffphoto e2 Member 813512 forum postsGeoffphoto vcard United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 - 1:06 PM

Hi Pete - sorry to have missed you while you were in Cornwall last week, but sadly I was busy ( in all that bloody rain ), Did you have a good time testing the camera on the beach and how did the surfing go ?? I always seem to have the rain on the lens problem these days and the answer is a dry tea towel, spare cheap daylight filters that can be swapped quickly and a roll of kitchen paper ( the really good quilted stuff) kept in the car to wipe down everything afterwards . Never had a problem with scratches just with condensation - cold rainy day - warm car/venue , now that is a nightmare and I would love to know how that can be prevented ! And did you get a decent pasty ?? Smile

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 6 Aug 2008 - 1:11 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2008 - 4:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318740 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 4:03 PM

No probs Geoff, I sampled a Pasty, Cornish cream tea and ice cream. Also had some local fish and got wet...a lot!!! I managed to stand up on the surf board once! Photographed lots of quoits, stones, tin mines etc.

IanA
IanA e2 Member 113048 forum postsIanA vcard England12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 11:03 PM

Although I'm often out in the rain, raindrops on the lens has never been a real problem. 95% of the time the lens is pointing down, while the other 5% it is protected for the most part by the lens hood!
Now wether a compact designed for use in the water has a lens hood I don't know, but that's my take on the problem! Wink

Ian

- Original Poster Comments
- Your Posts

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.