this is a lovely subject for the shot, I couldn't help but play a little with it, hope you don't mind. I totally agree with the advice given above, regarding sharpening settings, the truth is, it takes a lot of time and practice and playing around in order to start understanding how this works. I'm not very much into sharpening, but I have to admit the original was, in this case, a bit blurry. I tried a mod in order to give some small hints which might help when trying to bring the subject more into focus: first of all, a slight change could be brought by exposure adjustment. This does not literally sharpen the image, but it often helps to emphasize on some details which weren't visible at first. A slight increase in contrast contributes in approximately the same way (you can try it yourself on photos which look a bit dull at first; just keep in mind not to abuse it; when processing images, you can try to compare the current version with the original, or with an "intermediate" modification, which would be 1-2 adjustments before). This will help make a balanced modification.
One more thing I did in the mod was slightly decreasing the blue levels, for warmer, natural and more vivid colors. Especially in a case like this, where the subject is mainly red, saturation or tone adjustment could help.
Then I went on to sharpening, which was very slight in order not to create additional noise. As mentioned above, very low radius (in my case, it was: radius 1, threshold 2 and amount: 90, but this can vary in a certain measure.)
Another hint, which takes more time to achieve and which can help a bit with images where ever since the original the subject was not sharp (and where sharpening doesn't help too much) is "tricking" the eye: you can selectively blur the background instead of sharpening the subject -but this is only for extreme cases. I chose a blur vignette which allowed blurring the margins and keeping the deer head and neck into focus, just for a touch of background blur.
Hope this helps (I must also mention that color and levels adjustment caused a bit of colour noise on the wing of one of the birdies; that should be healed or cloned, but unfortunately I only noticed it too late, after the upload... but apart from that, I hope my suggestions weren't that bad. They're not necessarily "straight from the book", but they might work as small hints and tricks).
Good job, again
and thanks for sharing!