Canon EOS 5D Announced
The Canon EOS 5D is a 12.8 megapixel digital SLR featuring a second generation full frame CMOS sensor (35.8 x 23.9mm), housed in a compact magnesium alloy body. With a weight of just 810g the EOS 5D is a highly portable dSLR which also features a three frames per second 60 JPEG frame burst and a rapid start-up time of just 0.2 seconds.
The release of the EOS 5D, five years after Canon's first CMOS image sensor appeared in the EOS D30, marks the fifth new CMOS sensor to be released since April 2004.
The 5D's 35.8 x 23.9mm CMOS sensor, equivalent in size to a frame of 35mm film, provides photographers a full angle of view, without magnification or cropping effect. The EOS 5D also allows for tighter control over depth of field and improves image quality by its ability to capture more light with its large pixels.
The camera also features a high-resolution 2.5 inch LCD screen, 9-point auto focus with six invisible Assist auto focus points to improve its tracking performance. The 5D is driven by the same DIGIC II processor which is found in Canon's EOS 1D range of cameras. The camera also features new Picture Stylepre-sets, USB 2.0 High Speed interface for fast downloads and 1/8000 - 30 second shutter speed with X-sync at 1/200s.
In a new feature on the EOS 5D, current camera settings can be stored and assigned to the C position on the Mode Dial, allowing photographers to switch quickly between two completely different camera set-ups without having to switch bodies, making it ideal for photographers who need to switch rapidly from an indoor to outdoor shooting condition, for example. Exposure mode, ISO speed, AF mode, drive mode, Picture Style, white balance and custom functions are all stored in the custom setting. There are 21 custom functions with 57 user-definable settings to enable photographers to configure the camera for their preferred way of working.
Key features of the EOS 5D:
1) CMOS sensor - featuring 12.8 megapixels and the same second generation on-chip noise reduction circuitry used on the EOS 1Ds Mark II. This suppresses random noise and eliminates fixed-pattern noise for clean, high fidelity images. ISO speed range of 100 - 1600 is extendable to L:50 and H:3200
2) Picture Style pre-sets simplify in-camera control of image quality, delivering more immediately usable JPEG images staright from the camera, with no need for post-production. The pre-sets, which each offer a different colour response, include Standard, Portrait, Landscape and Monochrome
3) High resolution 2.5 inch LCD screen, retaining brightness and visibility throughout a wide 170 degree angle of view both vertically and horizontally. This allows for easy viewing of pictures, even when the camera is mounted in a fixed position
4) Auto focus - newly developed 9-point auto focus system, with 6 additional invisible Assist AF points, which can be used to improve the camera's subject tracking performance
5) Lightweight, compact magnesium alloy body, measuring just 152 x 113 x 75mm and weighing just 810g
6) USB 2.0 High Speed interface - this allows rapid transfer of images from camera to computer
7) Video-out interface - for playback and review on a TV monitor
8) PictBridge compatible for direct printing without the need for a PC
9) Compatible with both CompactFlash Type I and Type II cards, including cards of 2Gb and larger
The Canon EOS 5D offers complete compatibilty with all Canon EF lenses, giving photographers the option of a wide range of focal lengths, from 14 - 600mm. The 5D is also compatible with EX series Speedlites and other EOS accessories, providing photographers with a highly adaptable and flexible camera system. Canons E-TTL II flash metering ensures accurate flash exposures by taking into account such factors as lens distance information, ambient light readings and the detection of reflective objects in order to calculate flash output.
The BG-E4 is a new battery grip designed especially for the EOS 5D. Constructed with the same magnesium alloy as the cameras exterior, it has a solid and comfortable hold. The grip can accommodate two BP-511A/514/512/511 battery packs or six AA batteries . The Battery Grip BG-E4 features a shutter release button, AE/FE lock button, AF point selector and main dial to enable comfortable use of the camera when held vertically.
The cameras focussing screens are interchangeable: in addition to the Standard Precision Matte (Ee-A) focussing screen supplied with the camera, Precision Matte with Grid (Ee-D) and Super Precision Matte (Ee-S) screens are available. The EOS 5D supports the optional Data Verification Kit DVK-E2 v2.2, which verifies the authenticity of images taken with the camera.
The EOS 5D is supplied with the EOS Digital Solution Disk v11, which includes a new version of Canons Digital Photo Professional (DPP) RAW processing software now at version 2.0. DPP now supports RAW images shot on all EOS digital cameras from the EOS D30 onwards, and includes support for Picture Styles. Improvements and additions are aimed at improving functionality and workflow efficiency for professionals, and include: easy image selection with three levels of check marks; real-time adjustment of sharpness; improved image correction (Copy Stamp); enhanced image transfer function single image transfer to PhotoShop is possible; extended colour space support, now including Apple RGB and ColorMatch RGB; and improved usability of the CMYK simulation function.
Also provided is on the EOS Digital Solution Disk v11 is ZoomBrowser EX (PC) and ImageBrowser (MAC) v5.5 for managing images, EOS Capture v1.5 for remote shooting, PhotoStitch v3.1, PhotoRecord v2.2 (PC) and RAW ImageTask v2.2. The EOS 5D is compatible with CANON iMAGE GATEWAY , which provides a 100 MB online photo album.