Try Kindle Unlimited For 3-Months For Just 99p!

Latest Camera Comments

Latest comments, thoughts and reaction to our recently reviewed Camera Equipment, including the Nikon D300 hands on first look review.

User_Removed
LOL!!! Good response Ian - as ever...

Multiple battery compatibility (EN-EL3e, EN-EL-4, EN-EL4a or 8x AA) - Not enough to tempt me Wink

AF fine tune including 20 lens presets. - again, not enough to tempt me Wink

12 channel, 16 bit processing. - Fair comment Smile

1gb buffer - once more, not enough to tempt me Wink The D200's 23-shot, RAW buffer @ 5fps meets my needs.

All good stuff Ian but I see nothing that significant that would dictate my need to change (please note I did not use the word 'upgrade' Wink ) as for me, it's a question of what are my photography needs... and the D200 delivers those for me both now and for the short/mid-term based on what I am seeing with the D200.

Mike

Made by User_Removed on 30 Aug 2007 6:36PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

IanA

Quote:I see nothing in the specs to make me change from my D200.

Fair comment Mike, but there are a few points left out of this spec that, along with the included, certainly have me drooling!

Multiple battery compatibility (EN-EL3e, EN-EL-4, EN-EL4a or 8x AA)
AF fine tune including 20 lens presets.

12 channel, 16 bit processing.

1gb buffer

And the fact that it is virtually identical to the D200 means that 90% of the controls stay where they were so needing (wanting Wink) a second body means that rather than adding a 2nd D200, I'll be waiting to get my hands on a D300!

Ian

Made by IanA on 30 Aug 2007 6:06PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

MattGrayson
There is a facility to boost the ISO range between ISO100 and ISO6400 but this is not a true ISO setting.

Made by MattGrayson on 30 Aug 2007 12:48PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

AaronCollettPhotography
Rather strange that they've gone back to it only starting at ISO 200 as per the press release article? Why?

Made by AaronCollettPhotography on 30 Aug 2007 12:46PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

AidanT
It appears to me that it has little above and beyond the 400D bar the faster fps and a slightly bigger LCD.

From the write up it appears to have the same sensor and pixel count as the 400D. Unless the fps is a crucial factor I can't see the 40D selling in large numbers when the 400D costs far less.

Made by AidanT on 30 Aug 2007 11:39AM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

MattGrayson

Quote:(8fps? Nikon state 6.5)

Hi Mike, the D300 has 6fps with a boost of 8fps with the optional battery grip. The press release here confirms this. Smile

Made by MattGrayson on 30 Aug 2007 8:58AM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

User_Removed
I see nothing in the specs to make me change from my D200. It's all about levering money out of the pockets of the unsuspecting and inexperienced. Smile Why a sensor cleaning device?? Ludicrous. The difference >< 10 and 12 Megapixels is certainly not worth the expense in practical terms and I don't shoot sports so the extra 1.5 fps is also worthless to me. (8fps? Nikon state 6.5)

3in screen? The power consumption on the 2.5 version is high enough already.

Great for those looking to move from a D80 - definitely but, if you already own a D200, then I don't see it as a good move. To a D3..? now THAT is a viable move. Wink

Made by User_Removed on 29 Aug 2007 8:08PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

BundleBoy
I don't think the extra megapixels will make any real difference, but the switch to CMOS ought to help with high ISO noise.

I'm going to stick with my D200, sell off my couple of DX lenses and replace with full frame versions hoping for a future spreading of the FX format down the range. As much as I'd love to get hold of a D3 it's a tad over my wife's budget!

Made by BundleBoy on 29 Aug 2007 8:00PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

Grim1
It looks great doesn't it - any comments on how much better the extra megapixels make the images from it? I'm looking forward to seeing more shots...I don't know about the anti dust system, though - I've had a D200 for 18 months and change lenses daily - I have never had a problem with dust specks and do little maintenance other a quick puff with an air rocket when I remember.

Made by Grim1 on 29 Aug 2007 2:06PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

AndyMurdo
MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!
Nikon have widened the gap over Canon in this mid sector with the D300, but there is a fair bit of new looking technology, which I hope works and lasts as well as it sounds, and at about 1300 quite a leap in price over the D200's current listing (I'm not quibbling at value for money here) enough almost to get another lens or a second entry level DSLR etc! And all in nearly puts it at the next level! Great for the pro's on a budget, but as an amature snapper I have to ask if this package is needed given how good some of the lesser offerings are at the job, on a personal level I think that the latest EOS40D is just enough, and a better bet for many.
With this in mind will they keep the D200 going as an option, and if so why not add that sensor cleaning device?

Andrew

Made by AndyMurdo on 28 Aug 2007 10:30PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply