Latest Smartphone Comments

Latest comments, thoughts and reaction to our recently reviewed Smartphones, including the Nokia PureView 808 Sample Photos.

talknshoot
Well, to be honest... I am a bit angry now. This phone has a camera that performs better at high ISO than my Olympus XZ-1!!

This Pure View process is really good in terms of reducing the noise from the pictures. The benchmark at 5Mp and ISO 800 is superlative in terms of noise and detail when compared to any compact of the moment, IMO, and even the ISO 1600 shot is accepetable.

Well done, Nokia!

Now you just need to launch the damn thing! What are you waiting for?

Made by talknshoot on 24 May 2012 9:54PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

StylinRed

Quote:
Seriously now,
I do prefer a purpose built camera for taking pictures. I know it is much lighter, pocketable and more versatile as a solution but I am not sure if it will lure photographers into buying it. Remember that the first digital camera, from logitech was designed for estate agents.

Of course those who find it useful will make good use of it. Don't just think the affluent.

I dont think anyone not even Nokia is expecting you to leave your DSLR or micro 4/3s @ home here... they're just hoping you leave your pocketable P&S @ home and surely as a photographer you carry one of those too along with your dslr Smile

Made by StylinRed on 24 May 2012 4:19PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

pablophotographer
Dear Dad, I am writing to you in good health I hope you are well and happy too.
I dropped my camera so I can't call you until is fixed.
Love, your son.

Errrrrrrrrrrr

Great images
but my mobile phone offers a pop-up shower cubicle with running water at variable temperature.

Seriously now,

Made by pablophotographer on 24 May 2012 11:25AM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

Carrera_c

Quote:Looks better than my HTC Desire, which is a great device let down by a crap camera.

HTC Desire is a 5MP camera as well. I've recently got one and one of the first things I did was compare it with my brother's iPhone 4. The camera holds up perfectly well against the iPhone and the standard app actually offers more control than the iPhones standard app.

There will be a new iPhone, and it will show its face in June/July. But I don't believe it's going to be much of a step forward from the iphone 4 tech wise, more of a re-design.

Made by Carrera_c on 3 Mar 2011 2:18PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

NikLG
I find it very useful. It's always with me and can give pretty decent results ( from a phone ).
There are so many apps that increase the options as well. I use one called 'camera +' that lets you dictate a focus point and an exposure area.
I still have a compact and a dSLR, but for convenience, and not missing a photo op, I think it's pretty good.

The phone also does many more things too of course....

@Mike. I am not sure there will a new iPhone this year ( according to rumours I have heard ). I won't be upgrading anyway as I have only had mine for a few months...

Made by NikLG on 25 Feb 2011 4:35PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

Fluke

Made by Fluke on 25 Feb 2011 9:25AM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

User_Removed
Erm... the iPhone 5 is supposed to launch very soon I hear... Wink

Made by User_Removed on 24 Feb 2011 2:15PM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

johnriley1uk
For web use it looks very acceptable.

Made by johnriley1uk on 24 Feb 2011 10:57AM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply

karl
Think that really lets it down is the flash, although it doesn't produce too bad results and is fairly bright. Taken 100s of photos on my iPhone - video is pretty nifty as well. With IS I think I could just about replace my compact for most "snaps".

Made by karl on 24 Feb 2011 10:17AM, join in and reply to this comment!  Reply