These are the first versions of the software to be introduced since Corel's acquisition of Jasc in October 2004.
David Dobson, Corel's Chief Executive Officer, said: This announcement demonstrates Corels commitment to provide customers with powerful, flexible and affordable digital imaging software tailored specifically to meet their needs. Corel Paint Shop Pro X and Corel Photo Album 6 set a new standard in ease of use and demonstrate Corels intent to clearly differentiate itself within the rapidly expanding digital imaging market.
Blaine Mathieu, General Manager, Digital Imaging at Corel, said: Corel Paint Shop Pro X and Corel Photo Album 6 are the result of unprecedented levels of customer contact and rigorous usability testing. Throughout the development cycle for the new products, Corel engaged in intensive discussions with users to understand the key factors that shape a positive user experience. These included ease of use, integrated learning tools, more discoverable features and more automatic options to simplify the most common photo editing and organizing tasks.
Adding: The new releases of Corel Paint Shop Pro and Corel Photo Album reflect Corels investment in these core areas and the Companys commitment to deliver unmatched ease of use to every customer, whether theyre a casual digital camera user, hobbyist or professional photographer.
Corel Paint Shop Pro X gives every user the power of advanced photo editing, whether theyre a first time photographer or a seasoned professional. With a revamped user interface featuring a new, integrated Learning Center and Browser palette, Paint Shop Pro X is designed to accelerate learning and increase productivity. Tools are intelligently organized by task within the Learning Center palette, enabling users of all skill levels to produce professional-looking results with no previous photo editing experience required.
Offering a unique combination of one-click fixes and precision controls for fine tuning, Paint Shop Pro X delivers unrivalled flexibility and control, enabling users to grow easily into the program as their knowledge of digital image editing develops.
New features of Corel Paint Shop Pro X:
1) Paint Shop Pro X Learning Center - organizes tools logically by task, providing users with a step-by-step guide and quick access to the instructions and tools needed to complete the most common photo editing projects
2) Browser Palette - now integrated into the Paint Shop Pro X workspace to make it even easier for users to access, view, organize, and work with their images
3) Smart Photo Fix - analyzes a photo and suggests settings to auto-correct color, brightness, sharpness, and saturation - all in one step. Smart Photo Fix gives users new levels of control by allowing them to combine the simplicity of automatic corrections with the precision and control of manual adjustments
4) Makeover Tools - help users quickly and easily retouch the subjects in their photos. Includes the Blemish Fixer, Toothbrush and Suntan Brush
5) Object Remover - lets users seamlessly eliminate unwanted elements from photos, intelligently filling in the resulting gaps with appropriate background detail
6) Special Effects for Black & White Photos - easily convert images to simulated black and white infrared or apply color filters while converting to black and white images
7) Corel Photo Album 6 Standard Edition - provides efficient organization, sharing and photo backup options, along with hundreds of new drag-and-drop creative project templates
Advanced Features of Paint Shop Pro X:
1) Includes support for 16-bit/channel adjustments, ICC-based color management, the ability to import and export CMYK images using ICC profiles, along with enhanced monitor calibration that allows LCD screens to be correctly calibrated
2) Camera Raw support - Paint Shop Pro X now supports over forty Camera Raw file formats. Users can open, enhance, process, and convert images taken in the Camera Raw format
3) Batch Processing users can easily process batches of images with Paint Shop Pro X. The Batch Process command lets them use scripts to apply fixes to batches of images, and users can also convert batches of images to a different file format
4) Perspective Correction Tool - users can fix buildings, landmarks, or objects in their photos that appear to be in the wrong perspective or that were taken from an angle other than directly in front
5) Straighten Tool - lets users quickly align crooked photos and automatically crop the edges using any line in the photo
Unlike other photo editors in its category, Paint Shop Pro X also offers an extensive collection of graphics, web design, and art media tools to further extend the creative options available to its users.
Corel Photo Album 6 offers the broadest range of functionality in its category, providing users of all skill levels with easy-to-use tools to download, organize, edit, share, and protect their favourite photos. Corel Photo Album 6 introduces a unique zero click download which enables users to download, view and organize their favourite photos without ever clicking the mouse. By using Corels new Photo Trays, users can quickly create their own photo 'to do' lists, identifying photos to email, print or upload to an online photo site. Corel Photo Album 6 also provides new automatic tools for faster completion of basic photo tasks, giving users more time to enjoy sharing their photos with family and friends.
New features of Corel Photo Album 6:
1) Corel Photo Downloader - when a Corel Photo Album 6 user plugs a camera or memory card into their computer, the new Corel Photo Downloader automatically downloads, rotates and saves photos to a destination chosen by the user. After the user sets their preferences once, the next time they plug in their camera or memory card , Corel Photo Album 6 will do the rest - no clicks required.
2) Photo Finder - Photo Album 6 automatically finds all the photos on the users computer and organizes them by date taken.
3) All Photos View - lets users browse their entire photo collection at once.
4) Photo Trays - help users stay organized, enabling them to quickly sort photos for e-mailing, printing, or uploading to a photo sharing web site.
5) Recent Downloads list - automatically keeps track of the last ten groups of photos downloaded to the users computer so that they can quickly and easily locate their most recent snapshots.
6) Creative project templates - Corel Photo Album 6 includes a wide array of high quality templates to create photo calendars, greeting cards, scrapbook and album pages, collages, video CDs, multimedia slide shows, certificates, hard cover albums and other photo keepsakes, all with drag and drop simplicity
7) Automatic photo recovery, backup, and storage - Corel Photo Album 6 includes powerful PhotoSafe technology to automatically backup and safeguard photos, along with PhotoRecovery software to recover accidentally erased images, movies, and sound files from all types of digital media.
Alexis Gerard, President Future Image and author of the book Going Visual, said: Corel has clearly executed on its vision of blending a deep understanding of the customer with proven expertise in digital imaging. The new releases of Corel Paint Shop Pro X and Corel Photo Album 6 combine straightforward, logically organized tools within a sleek and simple interface that significantly improves the user experience. They will enable a broad range of people to meet the challenge of communicating more effectively in both their business and personal lives.
Corel Paint Shop Pro X includes Corel Photo Album 6 Standard Edition, Pixmantec RawShooter essentials and two hours of free lynda.com video instruction. Corel Photo Album 6 - Deluxe Edition includes PhotoRecovery software, Xtras Scrapbook Templates, Volumes I and II and a printed user guide.