HIPA (Hamdan International Photography Award) has announced the winners of the 2015-2016 awards at a Grand Ceremony held last night, in Dubai, UAE.
This year's competition has seen entries from 173 nationalities, 171 different countries, with 32,712 participants and 80,420 photos entered. 66% of those who entered the competition entered the HIPA awards for the first time ever. HIPA say that 52% of entries had first heard about HIPA online and that the highest number of entries came from nationalities from India, followed by China, the Philippines, then the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The highest percentage of entries were from the age range 25-35 years old, followed by 35-45 years old.
With prizes valued at $400,000, it's easy to see why there are so many entries in to this competition, which is now in its 5th year. The overall theme for the 2015-2016 season was "Happiness" and there were four categories, including Wildlife, Father and Son, General, and Happiness.
Wildlife Category Winners
Steven Winters, US, 1st prize winner for Wildlife category.
- 5th place - Fabian Berg, Germany - Prize: $6,000
- 4th place - Min Ouyang, China - Prize: $8,000
- 3rd place - Minming Lin, China - Prize: $10,000
- 2nd place - Lynn Emery, UK - Prize: $12,000
- 1st place - Steven Winter, US - Prize: $15,000
Father and Son Category Winners
Khaled Alsabbah, Belgium, 1st Place winner in Father and Son category.
- 5th place - Saber Nouraldin, Palestinian Territory - Prize: $6,000
- 4th place - Johannes Petrus Janssen, Netherlands - Prize: $8,000
- 3rd place - Mihailo Simovis, Serbia - Prize: $10,000
- 2nd place - Musa Talasli, Turkey - Prize: $12,000
- 1st place - Khaled Alsabbah, Belgium - Prize: $15,000
General Category Winners
Fausto Podavini, Italy, 5th Place in General category
- 5th place - Fausto Podavini, Italy - Prize: $6,000
- 4th place - Zhiqiang Zhang, China - Prize: $8,000
- 3rd place - Vladimir Viatkin, Russian Federation - Prize: $10,000
- 2nd place - Sandra Hoyn, Gemany - Prize: $12,000
- 1st place - Francisco Negroni Rodriguez, Chile - Prize: $15,000
Happiness Category Winners
Hameed Hussain Isa, Bahrain, 1st place, Happiness category.
- 5th place - Manar Gad, Egypt - Prize: $10,000
- 4th place - Omar Ahmed, UAE - Prize: $12,000
- 3rd place - Sergey Ponomarev, Russian Federation - Prize: $15,000
- 2nd place - Brent Stirton, South Africa - Prize: $20,000
- 1st place - Hameed Hussain Isa, Bahrain - Prize: $25,000
Grand Prize Winner:
Antonio Aragon Renuncio, Spain, Grand Prize Winner: Happiness, and winner of the $120,000 prize money.
Special Recognition Awards
Don McCullin, shown above, winner of the Photography Research-Report Award.
Don McCullin started his photographic career in 1959, and won the British Press Award in 1961 for his essay on the construction of the Berlin Wall. Don McCullin worked for the Observer, and from 1966, The Sunday Times as a war photo journalist. He has published a number of books of his work.
Oscar Mitri, shown above, winner of the Photography Appreciation Award
Oscar Mitri was born in Cairo, Egypt and started his career in photography in 1956, and was hired in Kuwait in 1960 as a photographic reporter by an Arabic cultural and geographical monthly magazine (similar to National Geographic). He visited 42 countries, shooting in black and white, and colour, and has published three books in total.
Photos of some of the other winners in this years HIPA 2015-2016 competition:
Fabian Berg, Munich, Germany, 5th place in the Wildlife Category
Johannes Janssen, Father and Son 4th place
Lynn Emery, 2nd place, Wildlife Category
Mihailo Simovic, 3rd place winner, Father and Son Category
Min Ouyang, China, 4th Place winner in the Wildlife category.
Musa Talasi, 2nd Place, Father and Son