Nikon's new Coolpix S800c compact camera is powered by an Android operating system and connects to the Internet via Wi-Fi which means users can download any application from Google Play, opening up a world of photo apps, social media apps and games. As well as Wi-Fi the new compact comes equipt with a 10x optical zoom, back-illuminated 16-MP CMOS sensor and high-resolution 8.7 cm (3.5-in) OLED touch screen.
James Loader, Product Manager for Consumer Products at Nikon UK, says: "The Coolpix S800c is a stylish, premium camera that acts smart and has been designed to enhance connectivity for photographers. The Coolpix S800c helps you to capture a stunning image and then allows you to instantly share them via social media platforms, extending your experiences to friends and family. As soon as you’ve got your shot, you simply tap the screen to upload to Facebook, Twitter or to send via email, for example. With its 1080p Full HD movies, high quality stills even in low light and ability to edit and share instantly, you can really have some fun with this camera."
The camera should be compatible with any android app that runs on Android Version 2.3.
The Nikon Coolpix S800c compact camera will be available from 27 September 2012 with an RRP of £379.99 and comes in two colours: white and black.
From Nikon UK:
The Android Camera
With its Android OS, the Coolpix S800c camera can become a fully-fledged entertainment centre. Download all the latest apps from Google Play to access social media updates from friends, get directions and information about the local area when you’re on the move, or play a game while you travel: the possibilities are endless.
Photos they will 'LIKE'
To ensure sharp shooting in any situation, the Coolpix S800c has a highly sensitive back illuminated CMOS image sensor so that even in low light or extremely bright conditions, the camera will easily capture the scene, while the EXPEED C2 image processing system and superior auto-focusing ensures quick response. So when you want to share a spontaneous moment with friends, you can be sure that you will share the experience exactly as you remember it.
The Nikkor wide-angle 10x optical zoom lens (25–250mm) with ED glass enables superior sharpness and colour whatever situation you’re in, whether you want to zoom out and capture the whole scene, or get up close and personal for a perfect portrait shot. Meanwhile, advanced blur-reduction technology minimises the effects of subject movement, low light and camera shake.
A smart touch
As sensitive as the best touchscreens out there, the anti-reflective, ultra-high resolution 8.7 cm (3.5-in) OLED (819K-dot) touch screen with wide viewing angle makes operating the S800c simple and fun. Scroll through your photos, and select and edit any that you want to get creative with.
Other key features:
- Share your world: easily connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Upload photos and movies to social media and photo sites, or transfer images directly to your smartphone or tablet.
- myPicturetown.com: view your photo gallery even when you’re not connected to the Internet. An in-camera application lets you connect directly to Nikon’s Internet based photo storage service.
- Built-in GPS: record the exact location (latitude and longitude) where you took your photo as a “geotag” in the image data (Exif). Compatible with any Google application that requires GPS.
- Full HD (1080p) movie with stereo sound: easily record life in motion. You can use the 10x optical zoom with autofocus when filming, and HS movie mode lets you record slow-or fast-motion movies using recording speeds up to 240 fps (VGA).
- Lens-shift Vibration Reduction: capture steady photos and movies thanks to Nikon’s automatic vibration reduction technology, which counters the effects of camera shake in real time.
- Motion Blur Detection: High ISO (up to 3200) light sensitivity reduces blurred images in low light. Motion detection compensates for camera and subject movement. Best shot selector (BSS) selects the sharpest of up to 10 sequential shots.
- Backlighting HDR delivers detailed images of high-contrast scenes.
- Easy Panorama 360°/180°: move the camera vertically or horizontally to create dynamic panoramas.
- Continuous mode: capture sharp shots of the action at a fast 8.1 fps.
- Internal memory: 1.7GB of internal memory for pictures and movies and 680MB for applications. When you need more space, the camera is compatible with SD/SDHC cards (up to 32GB).
For more information about Nikon’s products visit the Nikon website
Nikon COOLPIX S800c Specifications
|Max Aperture||f/3.2 - f/5.8|
|35mm equivalent||25mm - 250mm|
|Sensor Size (width)||No Data|
|Sensor Size (height)||No Data|
- Face Detection
- AF Tracking
- Touch AF
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/4000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||4sec|
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
|ISO sensitivity||125 - 3200|
- 1920x1080 FullHD
- 1280x720 HD 720p
- 640x480 VGA
- 320x240 QVGA
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Box Contents||Camera Strap, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (with Terminal Cover), Charging AC Adapter EH-69P, USB Cable UC-E6|
View Full Product Details