This is the second Android camera from Nikon, updating the Nikon Coolpix S800c, the new camera features a 12x optical zoom lens, a larger 3.7inch screen, 4GB built in memory, and an updated version of Android v4.2.2
Nikon Coolpix S810c Features
A noticeable update to the original S800c, the camera now features a 12x optical zoom lens (compared to 10x on the S800c), a larger 3.7inch screen, increased built in memory of 4GB (vs 2GB), and most importantly, an updated version of Android, now running v4.2.2, compared to the rather old v2.3 on the S800c. The camera also features an improved macro mode, letting you focus on subjects that are 2cm away from the front of the lens.
An added feature is called Timeline view: in playback mode, you can see all the photos that have comments attached as a chronological timeline on your display, just like in a blog or social media site.
Android means you can download apps from Google Play, taking advantage of photo apps, social media apps and games such as Clash of Clans. You can also browse the web and check your email when connected to a Wi-Fi network. 4GB of memory is built in for apps and photos, and the memory can be upgraded using a MicroSD card.
- 16 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor
- 12x optical zoom lens, 25-300mm equivalent
- Vibration Reduction (VR) optical image stabilisation
- 3.7inch touch-screen, 1229k dot resolution
- Android v4.2.2 (Jellybean)
- FullHD video, 30fps, stereo sound, 240fps slow motion
- 2cm macro
- Easy panorama 180/360
- 11 built in special effects
- Built in Wi-Fi
- 8.1fps continuous shooting
- USB charging
- Available in black or white
Nikon Coolpix S810c Handling
The camera isn't as slim as Nikon's other compact zoom cameras such as the S6800, but it is still pocketable. For anyone used to a modern touch screen mobile, particularly the Android operating system, the camera will be extremely intuitive to use.
||Upload To Smart Device
||Google Home Screen
There is an iOS (Connect to S810c) and Android app which allows you to send pictures to your smartphone or tablet when you don't have Wi-Fi available. The camera creates a Wi-Fi network, which your device connects to. You follow the instructions on both screens, then you can see your picture on the device. They can then be downloaded, even at full resolution.
Press the power button quickly to switch the camera on and off. Hold the button when on, and you can see additional options including quick power off, stand by, reboot and screenshot.
The body is solid and made from plastic, but there are no rubberised areas to help grip. The 3.7 inch OLED touch screen fills the rear of the camera, it looks very modern and there are very few buttons. There are menu, return and home buttons on the back, with on/off switch, shutter release and zoom rocker on the top.
Battery life - Battery life is rated at 270 shots according to Nikon / CIPA test results, which is average for a compact camera, although with a 1850mAh rated battery, this is an improvement over the previous model, and should give improved battery life when using Android.
Speed - We took a number of shots to test the camera's responsiveness, from switch on to first photo, shot to shot, focusing speed etc. We take a number of shots and then use the average to ensure accurate and consistent tests, making it easy to compare with other cameras.
|Wide - Focus / Shutter Response
|Full zoom - Focus / Shutter Response
|Switch on Time to Taking a Photo
|Shot to Shot without Flash
|Shot to Shot with Flash
|Continuous Shooting - JPEG
(shots before slow down)
|8fps (3 shots)
Shutter response, focus and continuous shooting are all very quick, although the switch on time is a little slow. As the camera is running Android, the camera is in standby when you press the power button, unless you specifically shut it down - if you do, then it will take much longer before you can access the Android part of the camera, but you can still take photos.
Nikon Coolpix S810c Performance
The performance section is where we look at the image quality performance of the camera. Additional sample photos and product shots are available in the Equipment Database, where you can add your own review, photos and product ratings.
Nikon Coolpix S810c Sample Photos
- The camera has reliable exposure and produces images with bright saturated colours that will look great when sharing on social websites such as Facebook. Portraits taken with flash have no red-eye, and skin tones are good.
Nikon Coolpix S810c Lens test images
- The camera produces images with good levels of detail in the centre although corners are soft when shooting wide-angle. There is also noticeable vignetting when shooting at some zoom settings. The camera gives very good macro performance letting you get close to your subject. Dynamic range can be improved using the D-Lighting option, or alternatively shooting using the HDR mode.
Nikon Coolpix S810c ISO test images
ISO Noise Performance
- For the lowest noise and best detail possible we would recommend using ISO125 to ISO200, as images have low levels of noise and good levels of detail. For lower light situations ISO400 to ISO800 still provides good results, although noise increases and detail is reduced. At ISO1600 noise levels become strong and we would recommend avoiding this setting if possible, although results may still be useful if resized and used on the web. ISO3200 is best avoided as noise is high, and detail is low.
Nikon Coolpix S810c White-balance test images
White Balance Performance
- Auto White Balance (AWB) performs well under tungsten lighting, with the tungsten preset giving an accurate result. AWB performs well under fluorescent lights, with the fluorescent preset giving a very slight magenta colour cast.
Panoramic | 1/1250 sec | f/3.5 | 5.0 mm | ISO 125
- The camera features an automatic panoramic mode, where you simply press the shutter release button and pan the camera from one side to the other. Results are good, and well stitched together, although a low resolution image is produced.
Nikon Coolpix S810c Digital filters
Digital Filters -
There are a number effects available when shooting, and a number of these effects can be applied in playback, as well as D-Lighting to brighten dark images, correct red-eye and quick fix.
- Quality is good and the camera records full HD video with stereo sound and optical zoom is available. Image stabilisation does a reasonably good job of keeping the video steady.
Value For Money
The Nikon Coolpix S810c is available for around £290 which makes it reasonable value for money, particularly up against the following cameras, shown below:
Samsung Galaxy Camera 2, 4.8inch screen, 21x optical zoom lens, £319
Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, also a mobile phone, £269 (sim-free)
Alternatively you could look at compact cameras with built in Wi-Fi to send your photos to your smartphone, such as the following:
Nikon Coolpix S6800, 12x optical zoom, Wi-Fi, £149
Canon IXUS 265 HS, 12x optical zoom, Wi-Fi, £149
Panasonic Lumix SZ8, 12x optical zoom, Wi-Fi, £129
Sony Cyber-shot WX350, 20x optical zoom, Wi-Fi, £199
Samsung WB350F, 21x optical zoom, Wi-Fi, £179
You'll also need to buy a memory card and a case or bag to keep your camera safe and protected - have a look at our complete guide to camera bags.
Nikon Coolpix S810c Verdict
For those that want an Android camera, the Nikon Coolpix S810c is an improved version of the S800c, and is also more compact than the Samsung Galaxy Camera. The camera fits neatly into your pocket, and delivers bright colourful images that can easily be shared to your favourite social media sites, using the large and bright 3.7inch touchscreen. However, for those that can't stretch their budget to the S810c, Nikon also offer the Nikon Coolpix S6800, which can transfer images directly to your smartphone over Wi-Fi.
Nikon Coolpix S810c Pros
Large 3.7inch touch-screen
2 year warranty
Compact and stylish camera
Improved battery life
8fps continuous shooting - although only 3 shots
HDR mode works well
Wi-Fi and GPS
Can transfer images to iOS devices
Nikon Coolpix S810c Cons
Soft corners when shooting wide
Vignetting in the corners
Little to grip on to
Lacks 3G connection
|VALUE FOR MONEY
Nikon Coolpix S810c Specifications
|Max Aperture||f/3.3 - f/6.3|
|35mm equivalent||25mm - 300mm|
|Sensor Type||Back-lit CMOS (B.S.I.)|
|Sensor Size (width)||No Data|
|Sensor Size (height)||No Data|
|Screen resolution||1229k dot|
- Face Detection
- AF Tracking
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/4000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||4sec|
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
|ISO sensitivity||125 - 3200|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL23|
|Box Contents||No Data|
View Full Product Details